Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Glock 17M slide lock

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I was more referring to the reduced number of parts SKUs.
    I did track, for sure.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Am I the only person who wishes they'd call that part the take down catch rather than the slide lock?
    Ignore Alien Orders

Yeah their terminology could be better I think. Early on I like to never kept them seperate. Anyway I can understand wanting to keep the parts to a minimum thus maybe using the same spring for multiple applications, but I would think the strength of spring needed to keep the slide lock engaged would be greater than the strength desired for the firing pin block and I can't invision how the spring works on the 43 or M slide stop. Going to see if the armourers (sp?) will take me through the disassembly next time I see them.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Am I the only person who wishes they'd call that part the take down catch rather than the slide lock?
    It's been that way since Day 1 and in their thinking (and I'd tend to agree), that part does LOTS more locking of the slide/barrel/frame than it does "taking down".
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Interesting slow motion video of a Glock 19.
    Watch the slide stop bounce under recoil.

"For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    No, no you're not. I'm also not fond of Colt referring to the thumb safety as a "slide lock safety," even though it's an accurate description.

I was in the Glock Armorers class at Glock last Tuesday getting recertified for the 4th time. They talked about Glock moving toward "streamlining" their parts and using the Firing Pin Safety spring 3 places in the 43 and that might be a thing going forward on new models.

As to how this spontaneous disassembly could happen, the likely culprit is Slide Locks installed backwards or POSSIBLY the duty holster they use is just different enough in fit between the 17Gen 4 and the 17M that when it is pushed down and rocked to disengage the holster retention the slide stop gets held in place as the gun moves, essentially "pulling " the slide stop "down" as the slide is pressed just slightly out of battery...leading to the frame being able to come out of the holster and leaving the slide behind....where essentially the holster is disassembling the frame and slide just like you do by hand....(pull 1/8 inch out of battery and pull down on slide lock then pull the frame back or the slide forward and separate)....OR...maybe the dual slide stops interact somehow with the slide stop causing it to be pushed down as the holster is rocked back and forth in the holster...

Now for this to happen the trigger would have to have been depressed, but it is in fact possible though not probable. So if the officers were dry firing and holstering and not resetting the slide before holstering it, a holster that does not quite fit COULD possibly lead to the slide being pushed back and slide stop being manipulated to allow it to come apart and the frame come out with no slide attached.....

If we knew of this happening with standard non retention holsters then that would kill that theory, but with so little solid info so far the jury is still out.
    Last edited by Randy Harris; 08-24-2016 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Harris View Post
    I was in the Glock Armorers class at Glock last Tuesday getting recertified for the 4th time. They talked about Glock moving toward "streamlining" their parts and using the Firing Pin Safety spring 3 places in the 43 and that might be a thing going forward on new models.

As to how this spontaneous disassembly could happen, the likely culprit is Slide Locks installed backwards or POSSIBLY the duty holster they use is just different enough in fit between the 17Gen 4 and the 17M that when it is pushed down and rocked to disengage the holster retention the slide stop gets held in place as the gun moves, essentially "pulling " the slide stop "down" as the slide is pressed just slightly out of battery...leading to the frame being able to come out of the holster and leaving the slide behind....where essentially the holster is disassembling the frame and slide just like you do by hand....(pull 1/8 inch out of battery and pull down on slide lock)....

Now for this to happen the trigger would have to have been depressed, but it is in fact possible though not probable. So if the officers were dry firing and holstering and not resetting the slide before holstering it, a holster that does not quite fit COULD possibly lead to the slide being pushed back and slide stop being manipulated to allow it to come apart and the frame come out with no slide attached.....
    GJM - are you reading this???? (inside joke with him) Great post.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Harris View Post
    You are now the fourth person I've heard that from. I am filing this officially under "clue" now.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Interesting slow motion video of a Glock 19.
    Watch the slide stop bounce under recoil.

Ummmm, that's the slide LOCK bouncing, not the slide STOP. And WTF is wrong with that gun? The extractor is jacked up badly....or the ejector isn't in the gun.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

User Tag List