Thread: SIG 239 -.40 vs. 9mm

SIG 239 -.40 vs. 9mm

I had read somewhere that the P239 was developed as a .40/.357., then a 9mm version was added after the fact. Other than barrel, magazine and extractor, what's the difference? Is the 9mm slide thinner or something? Wondering as I just got some Hogue grips for my .40 239, and they are supposed to fit all three, so maybe the frame is the same?

Slide is thinner for the 9mm, frame is the same. I think it may have originally been made in the 40 cal but I'm sure if that's wrong it will be corrected pretty quick. Excellent firearm, I prefer the 239 in 357sig vs the 40.

The only external difference is that the 9mm version has a cut down slide to reduce weight. So the .40/.357 version's slide is slightly taller, and retains more thickness near the top, thus some holsters will not work between the 9mm and .40 versions. Internally, the magwell has been cut out more for the .40's thicker magazine, as well as some other minor changes. So the Hogue grips will work fine. The only parts that don't work between the two are the recoil springs and the older extractors.

User Tag List