Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Anyone remember or care about the R51?

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I am sorry, but that is hilarious. That's like a coffee maker that catches on fire when you put water in it.
    My dad was kinda OK with it since premium defensive ammo ran fine. Which led to one of those dicussions that starts "Well, dad..."

It's funny now. But I wonder how many poor schmucks ended up with this as their sole firearm duing current panic buying?

I guess at least the current generation might feed ammo OK, I hope.
    Last edited by Baldanders; 04-09-2020 at 01:33 PM.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    My dad was kinda OK with it since premium defensive ammo ran fine. Which led to one of those dicussions that starts "Well, dad..."

It's funny now. But I wonder how many poor schmucks ended up with this as their sole firearm duing current panic buying?

I guess at least the current generation might feed ammo OK, I hope.
    Yeah, good point. Hilarious since he had a gun-knowledgeable kid. Not so hilarious that there are probably people out there who have this tucked in a sock drawer having never shot it. Good reason not to buy Rem or Freedom Group generally.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Yeah, good point. Hilarious since he had a gun-knowledgeable kid. Not so hilarious that there are probably people out there who have this tucked in a sock drawer having never shot it. Good reason not to buy Rem or Freedom Group generally.
    Since I'm coming up with marketing slogans:
    "Freedom Group: It's not about building tools to help defend your freedom, it's about our freedom to commit fraud."
    NO EXCEPTIONS

I am beginning to suspect that Remington suffered from a brain drain caused by the idea in upper management that experience is not all that important in manufacturing and engineering. Many companies have decided that a good way to save money is to encourage those employees with lots of experience and better compensation to pursue advancement via outside opportunities and hire younger, less highly compensated people to replace them. On an org chart, an engineer is an engineer and a machinist is a machinist, and it does not matter than one of those may have twenty years of experience in the industry and the other is two years out of school, be it university, trade school, or high school.

After doing a few product development programs, one learns how to gauge them and knows what issues are likely to arise -- and how to solve them. With more experience, one learns to avoid other issues and developments run much more smoothly with a much better end result. The new employees lack that experience and the ones who could have guided them have left for greener pastures. So the first products are full of fail -- like the R51. The interesting thing is later products like the latest Versamax seem to be much better. The R51 and 105CTi foibles may have provided the experience needed.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I guess that, when I look at the title of this thread, I see two questions.

A1. Yes, I do.

A2. Not even hardly.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I guess that, when I look at the title of this thread, I see two questions.

A1. Yes, I do.

A2. Not even hardly.
    If my dad hadn't bought one, I'd probably be "no" to both.

My questions now:

1) What part of the slide was digging out divots of bullets? How does that even happen?

2) How did it come back from Remington feeding better, but feeling worse? It went fron "mediocre" to "worse feeling semi I have ever shot". Something about the grip safety?

3) Can I shoot something like a group out of this gun? My last attempt at 5-7 yards looked a hair better than when I was patterning buckshot at 25 yards with my cylinder-bore shotgun--i.e. looked like a newb's first try with a semi ever.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

I'm happy as a schoolgirl with a new pony

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    If my dad hadn't bought one, I'd probably be "no" to both.

My questions now:

1) What part of the slide was digging out divots of bullets? How does that even happen?

2) How did it come back from Remington feeding better, but feeling worse? It went fron "mediocre" to "worse feeling semi I have ever shot". Something about the grip safety?

3) Can I shoot something like a group out of this gun? My last attempt at 5-7 yards looked a hair better than when I was patterning buckshot at 25 yards with my cylinder-bore shotgun--i.e. looked like a newb's first try with a semi ever.
    OMG guys! Looks like I get plenty of chances to answer #3!

Whenever I see dad it's together forever for me and my new carry piece....

Name:  images(8).jpg
Views: 414
Size:  3.3 KB

...just kidding. I haven't started smoking crack. But we shall see after a few range sessions.

Better come with ammo.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Why is the R51 a left wing gun?

Because it kills corporations.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Bud's now has R51s at Taurus-level pricing.

(Which isn't a compliment.)

Everything I have read about the R51 reminds me of the Colt A-A 2000.

(Again, not a compliment.)
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    I am actually shocked that is has 4.1 stars for 131 reviews. I remember when these first came out and all of the nightmares that came with it. Apparently they have worked out some of the bugs and have a budget level gun that seem to function.

Not for me though....never....I would collect cans off the highway and save up before I would ever get one of these.

User Tag List