Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone remember or care about the R51?

Anyone remember or care about the R51?

The new Pederson deal from Remington that fell flat on roll-out? I'd pretty much forgotten all about it, but was reminded by a chance, honest-to-God coonfingering at my favorite LGS yesterday, since they just got one in.

It looks and feels great.

But... the sticker was roughly three and one half Benjamins.

While *many* in the wider gun buying community might find that as attractive as Julia Stiles holding a platter of bacon wrapped steaks hot off the barbecue, myself, the owner, and his sales guy were all sort of standing around the case while I checked it out and agreeing: "this would be a hell of a lot more tempting if it streeted for $550..."
    :-D

I'm about to go find that "I want to believe" meme from the 17M thread and photoshop this Remington product in place of the Glock. It's just such a cool little gun. But trusting in the thing's QC at $350 is a tough one.

Daniel Shaw tested one and it malfunctioned like crazy. I believe 5 malfunctions in 50 rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

I'd buy a Walther PPS M2 and call it good, in lieu of wasting my time and money on the Remington.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post
    Daniel Shaw tested one and it malfunctioned like crazy. I believe 5 malfunctions in 50 rounds.

This is a new re-released one? Too funny. Remington is delivering some stout compressions to this super duper dead in the water product of theirs.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post

If this is the 500-round test I watched, it malf'd the literal first shot, this being the revised Gen 2 edition.

Remington in its current state is nearly hopeless.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 08-23-2016 at 07:06 PM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter

Anyone remember or care about the R51?

I actually shot one today. It was remarkably uncomfortable for me to shoot. Something about the shape or edges of the backstrap or grip safety made it somewhat painful as it recoiled into the webby bits between my thumb and forefinger. I meant to put a 50 round box through it, but gave up about two thirds the way through, because it was so unpleasant. It was also had almost no grip texture to speak of. Between the pain and the slippery grip, shooting dominant hand only was a particularly frustrating exercise. The pistol also experienced a failure to go into battery twice.

Definitely not for me.

By way of comparison, I shoot about 400-600 rounds a year through an Airweight J-frame, and don't find that nearly as unpleasant.
    Last edited by nalesq; 08-23-2016 at 08:26 PM.

Well might as well pile on. I handled one at the LGS and for me, the grip safety would not activate unless I modified my normal grip.......seemed like a great way to lose a gunfight.

Not that it really matters but zero interest here.

Remington should license the design to Umarex's airsoft division, as maybe then they'd get a functioning product.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    I'd buy a R1 before the R51...

And I wouldn't buy the R1.

User Tag List