Thread: AAR: HiTS First Responder, 20-21 August 2016

AAR: HiTS First Responder, 20-21 August 2016

This past weekend I made the drive to Dallas, TX (and back) to attend Hardwired Tactical Shooting’s First Responder Course.

Overview

Day One of the course focused heavily on accuracy. Ready positions were discussed and demonstrated as was the draw stroke. Single and multiple shots, both from the ready and from the holster were practiced. Accuracy standards were wither the black of a B-8 bullseye target or a 3x5 card in the head. Moving off the center-line as a means to create time was discussed and practiced. The day culminated with a practice run of a modified LAPD SWAT Qualification without the time standards.

Day Two introduced the pressure of the timer. Many of the previous days drills were shot against par times. Darryl and Wayne introduced and explained the rationale behind their Two Second Standards. Students were given ample opportunity to shoot the Two Second Standards and find their limit. Before breaking for lunch, we shot the modified LAPD SWAT Qualification, this time with the time standards. Turning to face a threat, multiple target engagements, dealing with malfunctions, shooting on the move, shooting in close quarters and shooting in conjunction with a handheld light were also covered.

What Makes HiTS Different

Grounded in Reality. This was really a course about fighting with a pistol, not shooting. The course did not deal with theory. Each and every topic, from safety to shooting on the move, was reinforced by a vignette or two from Darryl or Wayne’s personal experience. Each and every drill was related to a real world situation. The distances and speeds that we engaged targets at reflected my experience in gunfights. They also continually reinforced the level of scrutiny that was likely to accompany a shooting incident.

Emphasis on Accuracy. The accuracy standards were established early on and were maintained throughout the course, regardless of the difficulty of the drill. Coming from an accuracy-centric background, this was something I really appreciated. More importantly, I believe this really set the students up for success.

Going to the Head Early and Often. The head was introduced as a target early on. The significance of the head as a target was emphasized repeatedly and multiple Failure Drills were conducted throughout the course. I would estimate roughly 20% of the rounds I fired were at the head; sometimes as part of a Failure Drill, sometimes as a stand-alone response.

Movement. Movement was an important part of the course. Moving off the center line was introduced, practiced and subsequently reinforced through the two iterations of the modified LAPD SWAT Qualification. Shooting on the move was covered. However, rather than limiting it to the typical linear, assault-style shooting on the move, a more applicable style of shooting on the move (especially given the class demographics) was also covered and practiced.

Conclusion

Prior to taking the course I was a bit reluctant to drive 11 hours to attend the course. After two days on the range, I am glad I made the trip. Both Darryl and Wayne are excellent instructors and genuinely nice guys. The course covers a significant amount of material in a relatively short period of time. They do an excellent job balancing the breadth and depth of the material to ensure the students walked away with a relevant skill set.
    C Class shooter.

You drove 11 hours to inhale smoking meat at Hard 8 an take a pistol class....;-)

We always appreciate students of your caliber, as it is fun for us as instructors to simply watch drills done with focus and intensity. Also, dinner Sunday was awesome and I enjoyed spending time with you. Glad I was able to get a hall pass.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

KevinB,
    What was your equipment for this class?
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

User Tag List