Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indianapolis homeowner mistakenly shot by responding officers...

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN

Indianapolis homeowner mistakenly shot by responding officers...

Important safety tips:
    1.)Once the cops have been called, you don't need to be running around outside with a gun in your hand. The chances for a blue-on-blue shooting skyrocket in incidences like that. Plainclothes officers get shot all the damn time in similar circumstances. It's easy to tell who the responding officers are because they show up in a car with blinking lights and they're all dressed the same. You want to not be on the playing field wearing the other team's uniform when they show up.

2.)If you are on the playing field when they show up and you hear "Drop the gun!" then you need to drop the gun. Seriously. Like it just turned white-hot. (This is a good reason to carry drop-safe pistols, BTW. I realize that carrying that 1904 Ruritanian army surplus Schnellblitzenselbstlader in 8.3mm semi-rimmed is really cool, but aren't you going to feel funny getting shot twice when you drop it: Once in the junk by your own gun when it hits the ground ass-end first, and again in the gut by the responding officer because he's startled by the gunshot?)
    Quote of the Day, from Shootin' Buddy:
    When you tell people not to do stupid things, such as run outside your house with guns, they act as if you are asking them to shave their beards or not get more tattoos. You are not a Sheep Dog, you are a Shoot/NoShoot target on the unsquare range and you stepped into it voluntarily when you do stupid stuff like this.
    Last edited by Tamara; 08-23-2016 at 08:37 AM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Woops.

Tamara, Shootin' Buddy's commentary about "you're not a sheepdog....you're a shoot/no-shoot decision" is a great way to explain the dynamics of the situation.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

YES! [its a long story]
    Last edited by JHC; 08-23-2016 at 09:18 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

You are not a Sheep Dog, you are a Shoot/NoShoot target on the unsquare range and you stepped into it voluntarily when you do stupid stuff like this.

We really need a "love" button. You only get to use it once a month. I'd click it for this.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Here's another semi-local to me recently ...
    http://www.myajc.com/news/news/crime...omeowne/nrcj8/

Later stories though report the family of the homeowner never heard the responding LEOs identify themselves or ask him to drop his weapon. I am not taking a stance either way as I wasn't there. I just wanted to point out that you can't take the "we told him to drop it" claim in the story as fact. Of COURSE they will say that considering they just dropped a good guy after they responded to the wrong house.

Fact is though - yes, don't go running around outside with a gun when you are expecting the cops to show up. Put it down when they tell you. I recently answered a banging at the door at 3am in my drawers ... with a G19 ... only to find a LEO on the other side. He saw it and calmly asked me to leave it in side while we talked ... which I did. He was looking for a missing teen. Funny thing is a neighbor claimed the LEO that banged on her door had his flashlight up under his chin shining it on his face when she answered the door. Can you even imagine? I do that to creep my kids out ... not to talk with strangers. It is a funny story now though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Important safety tips:

When you tell people not to do stupid things, such as run outside your house with guns, they act as if you are asking them to shave their beards or not get more tattoos. You are not a Sheep Dog, you are a Shoot/NoShoot target on the unsquare range and you stepped into it voluntarily when you do stupid stuff like this.
    Quote of the Day, from Shootin' Buddy:
    And...to add to this little tidbit of awesome.....the "sheepdogs" who are responding have likely had little or no training on a non-square range or doing much shoot/no-shoot work, so it is "new" for everybody. We call that a recipe for disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    Here's another semi-local to me recently ...
    http://www.myajc.com/news/news/crime...omeowne/nrcj8/

Later stories though report the family of the homeowner never heard the responding LEOs identify themselves or ask him to drop his weapon. I am not taking a stance either way as I wasn't there. I just wanted to point out that you can't take the "we told him to drop it" claim in the story as fact. Of COURSE they will say that considering they just dropped a good guy after they responded to the wrong house.

Fact is though - yes, don't go running around outside with a gun when you are expecting the cops to show up. Put it down when they tell you. I recently answered a banging at the door at 3am in my drawers ... with a G19 ... only to find a LEO on the other side. He saw it and calmly asked me to leave it in side while we talked ... which I did. He was looking for a missing teen. Funny thing is a neighbor claimed the LEO that banged on her door had his flashlight up under his chin shining it on his face when she answered the door. Can you even imagine? I do that to creep my kids out ... not to talk with strangers. It is a funny story now though.
    From personal experience, usually you can't get most of the cops to stop screaming "drop the gun" over and over on a tape loop. It is like the fantasy magic pill of law enforcement..."if I keep screaming drop the gun over and over, everything will be okay".

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    We really need a "love" button. You only get to use it once a month. I'd click it for this.
    Calling Tom Jones....I endorse this message to the great OZ of P-F.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    From personal experience, usually you can't get most of the cops to stop screaming "drop the gun" over and over on a tape loop. It is like the fantasy magic pill of law enforcement..."if I keep screaming drop the gun over and over, everything will be okay".
    So you are saying being a LEO is sort of like parenting in this regard?

Stop jumping on the couch. STOP jumping on the couch. I SAID STOP JUMPING ON THE COUCH.

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    So you are saying being a LEO is sort of like parenting in this regard?

Stop jumping on the couch. STOP jumping on the couch. I SAID STOP JUMPING ON THE COUCH.
    Bingo
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

While we're enshrining idiots, allow me to retort: http://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/08...mall-shooting/
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    While we're enshrining idiots, allow me to retort: http://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/08...mall-shooting/
    Oof, that guy's decision-making process needs some reevaluation. Good thing for him he obeyed commands...

User Tag List