Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smaller/shorter 92 slide stop

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Oukaapie View Post
    My problem is that I am I am activating the slide stop up while firing and causing malfunction. The meat of my thumb bumps the slide stop up because my thumbs forward grip appears too high. When I'm not firing I can feel the slide stop on that thumb drumstick thing. Lowering my hands feels super odd.
    Do you have any way of getting a picture of your grip? I tried what you're describing and can't make it happen unless I don't arch my right thumb up. My grip has the joint of my right thumb making contact at the top of the left grip panel right behind the slide release, but I arch the end of my thumb well up over the slide release - it isn't doing anything but hanging out in midair just ahead of the decocker. My left thumb is well forward of the slide release with the area just behind the nail riding under the takedown lever. So the slide release has open air around it. My thumb joints are pretty big, though, and that helps keep the tips of my thumbs away from stuff.

ETA that I just tried this again, and I can actually only make this happen with my right thumb in a strong-hand-only grip. A two-handed grip has my left hand too high to let my right thumb get under the slide release.

Do you mean that your left hand thumb meat is doing this? Do you have the heel of your left hand all the way back in the empty area of the left side of the grip? I just saw that I can kind of make this happen if I advance my left hand further forward than usual, but that leaves a hole exposed on the left side grip panel. A person would have to have pretty good-sized hands to cover that hole with their heel and also still force the slide release up with the meat of their left thumb, but it looks possible. Just not for me.
    Last edited by Welder; 08-24-2016 at 05:15 PM.

Site Supporter
    Nice looking compact inox. I see a few things you've done to make it your own.

Judging by the overhead view of where your right finger indexes on the gun, your hands are about 3/4" shorter but a little meatier than mine. You've got a SRT in there which also supports that thought. I see what's going on with the release though. Is the heel of your left hand seated well on the grip panel? I only ask because EL caught me with a 'hole' between my hands on the grip; I had my support hand slightly too far forward on the gun. It's something I try to be more aware of now. My current grip has my left thumb in the same area as yours, yet my hands are larger, so.... Looks like if you moved your left hand back about 1/2"-3/4" you'd have more purchase on the grip and would also get rid of your slide stop troubles.

Just an uneducated guess from your not-so-local welder. If my eyes deceive me or this is a dumb idea, a grinder would also definitely help.

I can move my left back a smidge and it definetly creates more space around the slide stop. It changes the angle of my left hand which feels a little odd but I'll try that on the range and see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice TBone.
    Last edited by Oukaapie; 08-25-2016 at 12:38 PM.

User Tag List