Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HiTS Revolver Super Test

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    How does your hanen model 14's barrel compare to a later model 15-5? Or a model 19 or 66 for that matter. I have been lucky in the last few years to have picked up three pinned and recessed model 15s. How can you resist a clean k frame for less than 350 bucks?
    Up until some of the under lug target barrels, these (1965 Hanen Specials) were the fattest barrels ever put on an adjustable sight K frame. The heavy barrel 15's are the same as the 19 barrels minus the enclosed ejector rod housing.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post
    BTW - this will so be shot on my next range day 9/3 with my mdl13. As TGS can tell you I'm a fan of the TEST, and this is right up my alley. Thanks for posting.
    So as predicted I gave this a go yesterday. 167 out of 180. The 7 and 10 yard stages I was way too fast leaving a lot of time on the clock. 15 yards I settled in, still leaving some time on the clock but not much. I shot this from the ready position. Windage I was good but the group was low and accounted for most of my lost points. Yesterday I was testing a possible new training round for work. This was a 125 grain bullet which is what I feel caused the low grouping since I was shooting a fixed sighted gun which is regulated for 158 grain loads.

Love this drill especially since our training range closed for the season and all my practice until March will be on a public indoor range. Using my shot timer app on my phone set for par times I can run this drill with no issues.

Thanks DB.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

So as predicted I gave this a go yesterday. 167 out of 180. The 7 and 10 yard stages I was way too fast leaving a lot of time on the clock. 15 yards I settled in, still leaving some time on the clock but not much. I shot this from the ready position. Windage I was good but the group was low and accounted for most of my lost points. Yesterday I was testing a possible new training round for work. This was a 125 grain bullet which is what I feel caused the low grouping since I was shooting a fixed sighted gun which is regulated for 158 grain loads.

Love this drill especially since our training range closed for the season and all my practice until March will be on a public indoor range. Using my shot timer app on my phone set for par times I can run this drill with no issues.

Thanks DB.
    Try it 5, 10 and 15 yards......there is no 7. One of the keys is to develop a deliberate consistency of delivering precision shots everytime. Think of it as a fundamentals test with a par time. The times are generous enough to allow you to do everything perfect with every shot, but not so generous to let you think about it too long or dilly dally. We find it lets you learn to be efficient with a little bit of time pressure. If you simply think hink "fast to target, stop, aim, press, follow through, aim, press follow through, aim, press follow through"....etc. the key is to be consistent. The additional great training part of this drill is to not panic and start hammering the trigger......which relates well to how to be successful in actual force usage and is usually what Is the single factor in LE failures in shootings.....panic trigger slap using emotions rather than discipline.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 09-05-2016 at 02:49 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Try it 5, 10 and 15 yards......there is no 7. One of the keys is to develop a deliberate consistency of delivering precision shots everytime. Think of it as a fundamentals test with a par time. The times are generous enough to allow you to do everything perfect with every shot, but not so generous to let you think about it too long or dilly dally. We find it lets you learn to be efficient with a little bit of time pressure. If you simply think hink "fast to target, stop, aim, press, follow through, aim, press follow through, aim, press follow through"....etc. the key is to be consistent. The additional great training part of this drill is to not panic and start hammering the trigger......which relates well to how to be successful in actual force usage and is usually what Is the single factor in LE failures in shootings.....panic trigger slap using emotions rather than discipline.
    Nope you are right I did shoot at 5yards rather than 7. Usually the closest I will go is 7 yards unless I am shooting DOT torture. Which I probably why I smoked the time up close, my mind was telling me this should be easy. Didn't drop any points @ 5 but the group should have been better.

Yup fundamentals, that is what I need to focus on right now. It's why I am basically putting the Semi auto away for the time being, I am looking to restore my consistency that has been missing for the last 20 months. This drill/test should help.

Thanks again.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Nope you are right I did shoot at 5yards rather than 7. Usually the closest I will go is 7 yards unless I am shooting DOT torture. Which I probably why I smoked the time up close, my mind was telling me this should be easy. Didn't drop any points @ 5 but the group should have been better.

Yup fundamentals, that is what I need to focus on right now. It's why I am basically putting the Semi auto away for the time being, I am looking to restore my consistency that has been missing for the last 20 months. This drill/test should help.

Thanks again.
    I find the revolver version of this is a good "deliberateness" test. The auto version is a tougher shooting test. The 10 rounds in 5 seconds at 5 yards on the auto version (especially with the draw) is really a different skill set than the revolver. All are hitting and anchoring solid controlled fundementals, but hitting different ones harder. I find it is all control, but how you maintain emotional control on a revolver versus the auto has always been a bit different to me having carried both as duty guns. The revolver always seemed to be a mindset of "you have to hit solid, because you CANNOT go dry" versus the mindset with an Auto that seemed to be "you need to hit, but you can push the speed a little because there are more rounds if you need them".

Outstanding. Baby's new holster arrives tomorrow. I know what I'll be doing during my next range visit.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    The revolver always seemed to be a mindset of "you have to hit solid, because you CANNOT go dry" versus the mindset with an Auto that seemed to be "you need to hit, but you can push the speed a little because there are more rounds if you need them".
    This I need to give some thought to. The three years we did carry 4506 I never considered the additional rounds since you only had an extra 3 on the initial load out and only 2 extra with any subsequent reload. To me it was the same mindset all along. Now with us allowing 9mm with substantially more ammo even being restricted to 10 round magazines, (thanks NY and CA, jeez even NJ allows 15) this maybe more on point.
    Scott

DB and Wayne, as the creators and owners of the HiTS Revolver Super Test, how would you modify it for a 5 shot J-frame?

I ran a modified version by using the same distance and times, but shot 5 rounds only and scaled the points to reflect a maximum of 50 points per string, with a proportional passing score of 135 out of 150 (90% of points). Would you recommend also dropping the times to account for fewer rounds fired? I figured I should find the official method for snubbies as opposed to me just running a bastardized version of your test.
    Last edited by scw2; 01-27-2017 at 11:31 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    DB and Wayne, as the creators and owners of the HiTS Revolver Super Test, how would you modify it for a 5 shot J-frame?

I ran a modified version by using the same distance and times, but shot 5 rounds only and scaled the points to reflect a maximum of 50 points per string, with a proportional passing score of 135 out of 150 (90% of points). Would you recommend also dropping the times to account for fewer rounds fired? I figured I should find the official method for snubbies as opposed to me just running a bastardized version of your test.
    How about eight, six and four seconds with a five shot?
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    How about eight, six and four seconds with a five shot?
    That'll work. Your test, your rules.

Ran it before your response with my incorrect times, and the longer distances really show your errors on sights, trigger and grip on the j frame! The shortest distance string is way more forgiving with misaligned sights.

User Tag List