Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HiTS Revolver Super Test

HiTS Revolver Super Test

Wayne and I came up with the "Super Test" and Advanced Super Test for semi autos awhile ago and find it to be a great shooting drill. We modified it for Revolvers.

1. 15 yards, 6 rounds 12 seconds.
    2. 10 yards, 6 rounds 8 seconds.
    3. 5 yards, 6 rounds 4 seconds.

Advanced version is same times from the holster. We score it by the rings on a B8 Bull. 162 out of 180 to pass. We shot it last Tuesday with Wayne's model 15 (179, that would have been a 180 with a small turn of elevation in the rear sight), and I shot a 180 with my Model 14. I currently shoot the Model 14 better than anything else. It's a fun drill that is a good fundamentals test.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 08-22-2016 at 09:32 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I'll give this a try with the Sand Burr/Denny Reichard NY-1 next time out.

Nice. I'll have to give this a try with mine. I thought 14s had different front sights?
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Nice. I'll have to give this a try with mine. I thought 14s had different front sights?
    Mine is a Hanen Special. They were made in a small run in 1965 (my birth year conveniently). Most 14's are 6" with a partridge sight. The barrels are really heavy on this particular run of them.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

Had some requests for the Super Test. We laid it out on our Facebook page for HardwiredTacticalShooting. It is a homage to our friend and mentor Ken Hackathorn.

15 yards....10 rounds 15 seconds
    10 yards....10 rounds 10 seconds
    05 yards....10 rounds 5 seconds

Advanced version is shot from the holster, regular version from the low ready. B8 Bull target scored on the rings 270 to pass. 8 round guns are simply shot from the holster on the standard test.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Mine is a Hanen Special. They were made in a small run in 1965 (my birth year conveniently). Most 14's are 6" with a partridge sight. The barrels are really heavy on this particular run of them.
    I always felt that this is what the Mdl 15 should have been. Basically a 14 with a 4 in barrel and a hybrid front sight with the ramp falling between what a Mdl 14 partridge and Mdl 15 Ramp were.

Of course our boy Nyeti basicly has what I envisioned. Color me jealous.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Site Supporter
    Cool info on the Hanen Special. Went looking for them on GB and found one, a 14-2 the owner is calling a Dayton Special. Found the owner's post on S&W Forum from this May where he asks the value question and gets a lot of feedback on these revolvers. Very cool guns. Too bad starting price without meeting reserve is $800.

Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post
    I always felt that this is what the Mdl 15 should have been. Basically a 14 with a 4 in barrel and a hybrid front sight with the ramp falling between what a Mdl 14 partridge and Mdl 15 Ramp were.

Of course our boy Nyeti basicly has what I envisioned. Color me jealous.
    Wayne's model 15 is one of the later Heavy Barrels IIRC. Here is a picture of a standard model 15, the 14-2 Hanen Special, and a 4" 14-3. The Hanen's were some of the widest diameter barrels ever done on a 14 and I believe they are actually Model 10 HB's with the. Baughman ramp and then put in a 14 frame instead of a cut 14 that is what is usually assumed. I think the barrel even changed a bit from the first run of under 170 guns that mine is from in 1965 to a couple later runs. 2000 total produced mostly in 1966 and later.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I believe they are actually Model 10 HB's with the. Baughman ramp and then put in a 14 frame instead of a cut 14 that is what is usually assumed.
    Looking at that picture I beleive you are right. It's Purty
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

You know if you put out that revolver book we all want you'd have the funds to pick up a few more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List