Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Riddance!!

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

Good Riddance!!

So, to round out the New Year's Eve Trio, how about guns that you sold/traded/gave away and you're glad that you did.

For me, one was a Glock 23. I could never get comfortable with the notion that the gun was, in essence, cocked and unlocked, like a Colt with the thumb safety always off. I traded that for a...,

Taurus 605, which I filed the front sight badly. it was an OK carry gun, one that I had about as much affection for as a claw hammer. When I bought a police-trade-in Colt Detective Special, it went away.

One I don't remember the details of, but it was a S&W single-stack 9mm with a bobbed hammer. It was inaccurate AF. I tried several kinds of ammo and it always hit at the lower right corner of the target. I traded it away at the first opportunity. S&W later recalled that model.

A Spanish 1916 Mauser that had been converted to 7.62 NATO. It shot 6" high at 100 yards. it was a $69 special back then and wasn't worth it. Sold it.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Let's see... a Kel-Tec PF9 that was painfully unshootable. I traded it towards a Model 15 which I later sold to a friend (and that has been replaced by a pre-15).
    Then there's the also painfully unshootable Glock 27 that got turned in to something else, but it was a while back.
    The Interarms Walther PPK that would cut me to ribbons went away.

I also sold off a couple of semi-fake SMG's- a Walther Uzi .22 and one of those GSG Schmeisser 9mm's, as they were fun for about 2 range trips.

Then there's the couple of postwar commercial M-1 Carbines that are inevitably sold on.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Let's see... a Kel-Tec PF9 that was painfully unshootable. I traded it towards a Model 15 which I later sold to a friend (and that has been replaced by a pre-15).
    Then there's the also painfully unshootable Glock 27 that got turned in to something else, but it was a while back.
    The Interarms Walther PPK that would cut me to ribbons went away.

I also sold off a couple of semi-fake SMG's- a Walther Uzi .22 and one of those GSG Schmeisser 9mm's, as they were fun for about 2 range trips.

Then there's the couple of postwar commercial M-1 Carbines that are inevitably sold on.
    I thought about getting a Glock 27. The range had one for a rental. Two magazines' worth of ball convinced me otherwise.

I have an Interarms PPK/s. I took a mill file to the bottom of the slide, rounded off the sharp edges and hit it with some cold blue.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

A Glock 27. Just didn't have any use for it, never could figure out why I bought it aside from 'a bargain.' One of the very few pistols I've sold.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Site Supporter
    KT P11. I learned a lot on it, but it wasn’t that fun to shoot, and needed constant shooting to maintain proficiency. The sights were made of some plastic crap that mostly made me think of milk jug plastic.

I think the G27 is fine, if you put a 9mm conversion barrel in it.

Star Firestar M40. Shot itself to pieces. Should have gotten the 9mm instead.

Site Supporter
    I traded a Star Firestar.40 in on a Kahr 9mm back about 20 years ago (I think it was a Kahr). The Firestar was my first EDC, was a solid gun at the time, but was heavy enough to anchor a container ship. I'm still glad it's gone.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    So, to round out the New Year's Eve Trio, how about guns that you sold/traded/gave away and you're glad that you did.

For me, one was a Glock 23. I could never get comfortable with the notion that the gun was, in essence, cocked and unlocked, like a Colt with the thumb safety always off. I traded that for a...,

Taurus 605, which I filed the front sight badly. it was an OK carry gun, one that I had about as much affection for as a claw hammer. When I bought a police-trade-in Colt Detective Special, it went away.

One I don't remember the details of, but it was a S&W single-stack 9mm with a bobbed hammer. It was inaccurate AF. I tried several kinds of ammo and it always hit at the lower right corner of the target. I traded it away at the first opportunity. S&W later recalled that model.

A Spanish 1916 Mauser that had been converted to 7.62 NATO. It shot 6" high at 100 yards. it was a $69 special back then and wasn't worth it. Sold it.
    OK, let's see, a whole long litany of crap guns:

Taurus 66. After a decade it started eating firing pin springs. Second time it happened I by that time had a S&W 19-4, which was a better gun, so the Taurus went away. If I had it now I'd probably be more knowledgeable and methodical about troubleshooting it.

FIE .38 Derringer. Found it in in a holster, in a washing machine, one place we moved into about 1985 or so. Horrible, dangerous piece of crap. It and its Bianchi leather holster got me $30 in store credit at a gun store.

Jennings J22. Worst POS ever. I think I traded it for a 40MB backup tape, back in the low '90s.

Moving ahead, let's see. CZ-100. Never reliable, back to CZUSA 3 times in the warranty period. Never off probation, it and the Taurus 66 got traded even up for something I still have. This is the gun you can't find anything about on CZUSA's web site.

Star Firestar 9mm. OK quality wise, but i could never quite get dialed in to where the gun was shooting to. Heavy, and an orphan, and the magazines are expensive, so off it went.

Kel Tec PF9. Worked OK after a trip to KelTec. Just, "meh". Sold it, plowed the funds into something I still have.

Anything that said “Les Baer” on the side.

A S&W 940 (9mm j-frame). Cool idea, totally unenjoyable to shoot.

AMT 380, jamomatic, stainless steel galling was awful
    Grendel 380, jamomatic, bent barrel pins
    PPK/s stainless US made in the mid 80's, jamomatic, steel galled like crazy
    Sig P230, mine was not totally reliable with any ammo I tried, lame sights with no recourse to replace them, internal slide lock that required an empty mag
    Taurus PT92, 1985 vintage, they sucked, horrible trigger and grip
    Charter Arms bulldog, out of time in 200 rounds I think
    S&W M37 I had to shim twice because the frame kept stretching
    S&W 669, horrible shooter, grouped like a shotgun, grip like a 2x4, horrible ergonomics
    Keltec PM30, never made it through a full magazine even once without jamming, 6 types of ammo it would not digest
    Taurus 82, .38 special, out of time in less than 500 rounds
    Glock 23 early gen 3, horrible recoil, unpleasant to shoot with any full power round, unimpressive groups, broke one locking block and one trigger pin
    S&W M&P9 gen 1, slick grips, patterned like a shotgun, KKM barrel did not even fix it
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

FNX 9.

It was just "okay", as if the gun wasn't fully fleshed out. I'm sure it would've done okay if forced into service, but there's just better mins out there. I have an old post on here documenting my issues with it
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List