Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vetting Ruger GP100s for Carry/Defense Use

Vetting Ruger GP100s (or revolvers in general) for Carry/Defense Use

I officially have 1,066 documented rounds through my Lipseys 5" blued half-lug GP100 w/ brass dot front sight. 765 of those rounds were Magnums, and 301 rounds were Specials. I regularly gave a normal cleaning, even during extended range sessions, but I've never taken the gun apart. There have been no functional issues whatsoever and I immensely enjoy shooting it. Would this be considered vetted enough for carry/defensive use?

I'd also like to get a hold of a 3" 6-shot .357 GP100 with dovetailed sights rather than the machined internal rear sight, but those are Distributor Exclusive models and out of stock everywhere, and they only come in blued (which I would settle for). My crazy idea is I'd like to somehow get jeans with a custom right pocket made big enough to carry said 3" GP100 in the pocket with a Mika holster. I guess I'll keep an eye out if there is another run of that Talo edition (Model # 1753).

I don't have a pic of my particular 5" on my computer right now, so a stock photo will have to suffice. As much as I love the look and feel of the smooth walnut grips, I did end up putting Hogue Tamers on for extended sessions shooting .357 Magnum. The 5" half lug barrel with the Tamers makes the revolver incredibly controllable and comfortable to shoot, though I long for the walnut grips. If this were a more dedicated .38 Special gun, I'd just leave those on.
    Name:  GP100 half lug.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  29.9 KB
    Last edited by SwampDweller; 04-04-2024 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    I'd also like to get a hold of a 3" 6-shot .357 GP100 with dovetailed sights rather than the machined internal rear sight
    Brother, you and me both. These have been rare for a while and prices have gotten kind of silly. I'm really starting to consider a 3" S&W 686 7-shot.

There's the stock fixed-sight 3" with the pinned front and the 2.5" models with adjustable sights. Neither are really ticking the right boxes for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    Brother, you and me both. These have been rare for a while and prices have gotten kind of silly. I'm really starting to consider a 3" S&W 686 7-shot.
    Same, I'm heavily considering the S&W 686 "3-5-7" 3 inch with the unfluted cylinder. The new Python Combat Elite 3" unfluted also looks really nice, but I'm not sold on the new model Python's reliability/durability yet.

Do y'all think with just over 1k rounds through my GP100, mostly with Magnums, that it is vetted enough for carry?

I can't see why not. I think most consider 500 rounds plus (or including) 50-100 of their carry ammo through their semis to be reasonable, can't see why it would be any different for a revolver that's not giving issues.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Well, has the weapon ever been fired quickly enough, in a short time span, for it to get well and truly brought “up to temperature?” Any improperly heat-treated parts, or parts made of a sub-standard or improperly-alloyed metal might only make themselves known during relatively rapid shooting. If the listed rounds have all been slow-fire, it would be wise to fire a few cylinders of real-world carry ammo through it. Two or three cylinders should do it. This is not a Ruger thing, or any other brand thing, but a general firearm thing. Even a bolt-action rifle can fail, when first well and truly warmed-up. An inspection/test-fire done at the factory will not normally detect such problems.

If I am vetting a revolving pistol, those two or three cylinders are far more important than however many dozens or hundreds done slow-fire, at meditative speed. Bringing a weapon up to temperature is how we detect parts that will swell, warp, or fracture.

My only problematic GP100, of several that I own, has been one that is overly-susceptible to fouling from unburned powder. Its tolerances are so tight that I would not want to use any but the cleanest-burning defensive ammo in it. Because it has the heaviest trigger pull, of the lot, though a snag-free, consistent trigger, it has been relegated to being my designated dry-fire gun.
    Last edited by Rex G; 04-06-2024 at 07:26 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Well, has the weapon ever been fired quickly enough, in a short time span, for it to get well and truly brought “up to temperature?” Any improperly heat-treated parts, or parts made of a sub-standard or improperly-alloyed metal might only make themselves known during relatively rapid shooting. If the listed rounds have all been slow-fire, it would be wise to fire a few cylinders of real-world carry ammo through it. Two or three cylinders should do it. This is not a Ruger thing, or any other brand thing, but a general firearm thing. Even a bolt-action rifle can fail, when first well and truly warmed-up. An inspection/test-fire done at the factory will not normally detect such problems.

If I am vetting a revolving pistol, those two or three cylinders are far more important than however many dozens or hundreds done slow-fire, at meditative speed. Bringing a weapon up to temperature is how we detect parts that will swell, warp, or fracture.

My only problematic GP100, of several that I own, has been one that is overly-susceptible to fouling from unburned powder. Its tolerances are so tight that I would not want to use any but the cleanest-burning defensive ammo in it. Because it has the heaviest trigger pull, of the lot, though a snag-free, consistent trigger, it has been relegated to being my designated dry-fire gun.
    I have gotten it pretty warm firing several cylinders in immediate succession of full power .357 Magnum ammo (mainly Remington 158gr SJHP), then let it cool down afterwards.

200+ rounds of reloads and/or cheap target ammo to verify function, adjust sights and to see if any grip mods need to be done. Once that has been accomplished, from a clean gun I will shoot intended carry ammo, full gun plus 2 speedloaders full, 15 or 18 rounds, the amount I most would most likely have on me, a fast as I can keep rounds in the A-zone. I will do this drill 3 times once from 7, 15 and 25 yards. This gives me the ability to check myself and carry ammo at the same time without feeling I have "wasted to much ammo" (have you seen the prices of .357 defense ammo? ). I do all of most of training with reloads.

The 2 that get the most milage unless I'm going to the woods.

I do love my GP100's but carrying one is like having a boat anchor in your pants.

Name:  C1615736-F6D3-498E-96B0-5C913F681DDA.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  42.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by dannyd93140 View Post
    I do love my GP100's but carrying one is like having a boat anchor in your pants.

Name:  C1615736-F6D3-498E-96B0-5C913F681DDA.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  42.8 KB

Just for reference, my 3 inch Python weighs 2 ounces more than my GP100 WC. They are all heavy....

User Tag List