Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taran Tactical fiber optic/tritium

Taran Tactical fiber optic/tritium

I got confirmation from Taran Tactical that they are working on a combination fiber optic/tritium sight. They estimated they will be to market in 6 to 8 months. To me that means to expect them in about 12 months but maybe I am a pessimist. I have asked for any specifications they can reveal but haven't heard back yet.

Does anybody have info on these sights? I think the concept is the way of the future but they need to be much better executed than the TFO's. I am hopeful that if anybody can do that its Taran Tactical.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

The TFX sights are executed reasonably well. That said, this very much interests me!

It'll be interesting to see what they come up with. I had an idea some months ago on doing something similar, but different from how Truglo currently does it. If it is different yet still from how I'm thinking, I may just very well try to get a hold of a copy of CAD software and see what I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    The TFX sights are executed reasonably well. That said, this very much interests me!
    After having the TFX Pro on the front of an HK for a while, it seems neither feast nor fowl. The FO size is bigger than ideal during the day, and the orange ring is so small it doesn't jump like an HD in dimmer light. It will be interesting to see what Taran comes up with.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Does anyone know when Tru-Glo's patent on fiber optic / tritium sights expires ?

The problem with this concept is everyone has to work around Tru Glo's patent, which is how you get stuf like the VTAC sights.

For some reason, I have long thought it was 2018....but now I can't find any reference for that.

Here are some of the patents Truglo has:
    https://www.google.com/#tbm=pts&hl=e...ruglo,+Inc.%22
    https://www.google.com/#tbm=pts&hl=e...u-glo,+Inc.%22

One dates back as old as 1997, but there are some covering the general tritium fiber-optic idea published as recent as at least 2009.

I don't understand the details surrounding patent lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Does anyone know when Tru-Glo's patent on fiber optic / tritium sights expires ?

The problem with this concept is everyone has to work around Tru Glo's patent, which is how you get stuf like the VTAC sights.
    I've got an idea that I think would work splendidly, and doesn't appear to infringe on the patent, have talked to two sight makers, no interest.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I've got an idea that I think would work splendidly, and doesn't appear to infringe on the patent, have talked to two sight makers, no interest.
    Please keep trying. Some people only like their own ideas.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

My wish list for these sights:

.125 front/.150 rear
    Tritium/fiber optic on front sight
    Rear sight with no fiber optic/recessed tritium only a la Trij HD
    Tritium vials smaller on rear than front
    Serrated front and rear
    Some sort of rust proofing
    Out the door for no more than $125
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ View Post
    My wish list for these sights:

Some sort of rust proofing
    Given that Taran is sponsored by IonBond, I think this is a safe bet.

User Tag List