Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trigger Finger Motion or Pressing the trigger straight to the rear

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I was definitely thinking of the latter of those two. Plus this one which JV linked to in post #2 of the 2nd Surf thread. This one was the inspiration I think to Surf starting a couple of others. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....nger-placement
    That is the thread I was thinking of. Good find.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Try using more finger, possibly a lot more. There's a thread about this here somewhere. If I find it, I'll link.

Here is Pat Mac's opinion on finger placement... http://soldiersystems.net/2013/10/26...t-mcnamara-14/

Craig - thanks for the Pat McNamara link. I have done my fair share of 'pushing' shots (never as severe as spinmove, though). A couple friends think I'm fine - I don't. It's been a struggle to get the word "press" on automatic in my head. The part about the vise and fulcrum in the link is magic and made my lights go on big time! I immediately did some dryfiring and voila - although I can't be positive, I cannot wait to get to the range.

Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    At this point I'm wondering if I'm just fundamentally pressing the trigger to the rear incorrectly.
    Can triggers go anywhere except straight to the rear?

I'm not being snarky here... I want you to re-wire your brain a little.

Triggers can ONLY MOVE STRAIGHT TO THE REAR regardless of whether they slide or whether they're hinged.

So why is this terminology still so ubiquitous? Oh, I suppose it's just become a fixture in the biz.

Anyway, what is it that we're really attempting to accomplish? I'd submit:

Pull the trigger without moving the gun off target.

Right? All triggers move straight to the rear, so what we're really attempting to accomplish is aligning our sights and then operating the trigger in such a fashion that it doesn't disturb (significantly) our sight alignment, i.e. move the gun.

How do you dry practice your trigger control?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Can triggers go anywhere except straight to the rear?

I'm not being snarky here... I want you to re-wire your brain a little.

Triggers can ONLY MOVE STRAIGHT TO THE REAR regardless of whether they slide or whether they're hinged.

So why is this terminology still so ubiquitous? Oh, I suppose it's just become a fixture in the biz.

Anyway, what is it that we're really attempting to accomplish? I'd submit:

Pull the trigger without moving the gun off target.

Right? All triggers move straight to the rear, so what we're really attempting to accomplish is aligning our sights and then operating the trigger in such a fashion that it doesn't disturb (significantly) our sight alignment, i.e. move the gun.

How do you dry practice your trigger control?
    You make an excellent point. Triggers do most definitely only go the rear. However, when someone uses the term "press the trigger straight to the rear", it says, at least in my mind, "press the trigger only rearward, not rear and to the left and not rear and to the right". It's definitely the same thing as "press the trigger to the rear without disturbing sight alignment". At least, that's how I interpret that statement.

So how do I practice dry firing trigger control? Your timing is impeccable as I'm actually reading your dry practice thread right now. Before today, I was practicing slow and deliberate trigger presses, while prepping the trigger to the break point, then breaking the shot as slow as possible, then keeping the trigger pressed to the rear while cycling the slide, then realigning the sights still keeping the trigger pressed rearward, then letting the trigger out to reset and no further, then pressing the trigger slowly and deliberately through the break. Rinse and repeat. Everything in your dry practice thread is telling me that I'm doing the EXACT OPPOSITE of what I should be doing. So taking that into consideration, I will be changing up my dry fire practice method considerably.

Being as ridiculously over-analytical as I am, I tend to be a perfectionist. So if I'm having a bad day or I'm tired or both, if I screw up, even just a little bit, I'll get down on myself and probably ingrain some bad habits. So I need to approach the exercise with far more leniency towards myself if I happen to make a mistake somewhere, as I am human after all and will make mistakes. Sometimes its just simply hard for me to not go "ERMAHGERD, I PULLED A SINGLE SHOT LEFT, I'M THE WURST PISTOL HANDLER EVAR!!!" so it'll be somewhat of a learning experience. I mention this because looking back now, I've noticed that when I do get frustrated and start screwing up, I start crushing the absolute dog crap out of the gun with both hands and press the trigger ever slower and more deliberate, oddly enough, completely to further detriment only to continue doing it over and over in an effort to "force" the gun to give me the correct shot.
    Last edited by spinmove_; 08-22-2016 at 02:28 PM.

I find that a laser does a great job of showing what is being done. It is difficult to diagnose over the Internet. Grab a cheap one and work on dry fire presses. See for yourself what tensions and pressures you are disturbing the sights with.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Have you ever read Surf's long treatise on Glock gripping and shooting on PF? Might take some hunting. I never noticed if it got a sticky or not as some requested.
    ^this! This helped me a lot when shooting glocks and has translated into other guns I have flirted with along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    I find that a laser does a great job of showing what is being done. It is difficult to diagnose over the Internet. Grab a cheap one and work on dry fire presses. See for yourself what tensions and pressures you are disturbing the sights with.
    I've got a cheap boresighter in 9mm that I could screw with. Could be interesting for at least a couple of presses just to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    ^this! This helped me a lot when shooting glocks and has translated into other guns I have flirted with along the way.
    Currently reading through a couple of those threads. I have to say, quite the wealth of good information in there so far.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    I've got a cheap boresighter in 9mm that I could screw with. Could be interesting for at least a couple of presses just to see what happens.

Currently reading through a couple of those threads. I have to say, quite the wealth of good information in there so far.
    Surf puts out a lot of good info, I feel like I hardly see him or SLG post here anymore. Such a shame.

I find that grip effects my trigger press. If the gun does not "fit right" then you will have poor trigger finger placement, leading to a poor trigger press. I tend to use the medium size beaver tail backstrap on my Gen 4 guns and grip force adapter on my Gen 3 guns.

A lot of really smart people suggest using more trigger finger. I find that using the center of the pad works for me. Finger placement is really variable and dependent on hand size. Like previously stated, setting the gun up to maximize proper trigger finger reach via playing with back straps may be the ticket.

I've also found that a good support hand grip keeps the gun from being effected by a bad trigger press.

Read Surf's post. It helped me tremendously. I've gone back to it several times in the past couple years.
    If you're not going to learn to use the front sight properly, don't bother with it. If pointing the gun, screaming "Ahhhhh!" and cranking on the trigger is all you can learn to do, work on doing that safely. -ToddG

You may also try this for diagnostic purposes... https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post481103

If you haven't already, take the time to read through that thread, as it specifically pertains to shooting left with Glocks.
    Last edited by StraitR; 08-22-2016 at 08:07 PM. Reason: wrong link

User Tag List