Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Travis Haley - .7 second draw to headshot at 10 yds

Travis Haley - .7 second draw to headshot at 10 yds

Interesting drills that work down from 5 seconds to the .7 second draw to headshot. Impressive speed.

Impressive; I'll say. Timely with the current DoW and the pure speed drill from 3 yards and to a full A zone.
    Last edited by JHC; 08-22-2016 at 07:59 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Was anyone else annoyed by the sound of the buzzing fly? LOL...

I guess I don't understand why the draw mechanics change with the time pars?

That's pretty cool.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    Was anyone else annoyed by the sound of the buzzing fly? LOL...

I guess I don't understand why the draw mechanics change with the time pars?

That's pretty cool.
    I'm not sure they change as much as it's a way to force you to do so many "perfect" repetitions before going at speed where many people get into imperfect repetitions.

If you do 50 perfect reps at a slower speed, your last 10 as fast as you can are probably going to still be correct. Or at least that's what I was taking away.

*shakes head*

This type of drill has been around for a very long time, his "explanation" jumps around so much that its difficult to follow. He talks about mindset, which he has proven he doesn't understand, and then goes on to demo a drill the wrong way. Every time I have ever seen this type of "time lapse" drill demonstrated it has always been from further distance than 15 yards and is almost always on a series of targets.

The speed is unimpressive as it is square range nonsense. .7 on a square range translate to what in real life and with what setup? I doubt he walks around with that gaming rig, in perfect position to draw and fire at all times. The whole thing is an exercise in derp.

Yep, I don't like him or what he is selling (especially not his skin notion).
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Arent most drills not "real life" nor dont intend to be?

I am the type that tries to give credit where credit is due regardless of how I feel about the person. If you dont feel .7 from the draw is impressive, could you post your .5 for us to admire?

To properly evaluate this, don't we need to first study the kinesiology, drilling down to the synapse level, and then correlating this with the psychic elements, while examining the impact of external stimuli?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I understand having an attachment to gear seen as realistic and relevant - I certainly impose the burden of that attachment on myself (strong Timmy.) But there are a lot of motivations and methods out there and I don't think it's fair or realistic to expect my attachments to be adopted wholesale by others.

A 0.70 draw is excellent from any gear, including the Limited/Production/range training setup Haley is using. Nicely done!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

While I don't agree with everything Travis says, I think to downplay his ability to shoot is kind of silly. I can not do a .7 draw to that size target, so like Mr.White said, nicely done! To stir something out of this, does everyone use the same draw stroke (imagining that you always carry from the same position) for all situations (not incorporating the obvious such as retention, obstacle, or vehicle). So is your draw stroke at 5 yards the same you would use at 50?
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 08-22-2016 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    So is your draw stroke at 5 yards the same you would use at 50?
    Yes. The difference is limited to how much cleaning/finalizing of the sights and trigger happen once the gun is at full extension and stopped. But the 'raw draw' itself is the same structure and manner at 5 or 50.

That's pretty typical of the explanation out of the competitive shooting world, and is in contrast to some of the ideas associated with the press-out. I think a lot of the practitioners of the the press-out would argue to modulate the speed/precision of extension in order to time the shot to be at or near the end of horizontal extension - instead of modulating the amount of sights and trigger cleanup after the gun is extended. I've done both and I think they can both be done very well. At present, I pretty much adhere to the conventional idea of drawing at max speed regardless of the target difficulty.

But, there is a tiny universe at the end of extension where the gun is being slowed to a stop, while cleaning up the sights and trigger at the same time, and in that little world which is very interesting, it might be hard to tell who is the tortoise and who is the hedgehog.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

User Tag List