Thread: Bill drill variations

Bill drill variations

I shot my first bill drills yesterday at 7 and 25 yds, and it got me wondering. I searched on this site and others, and most tend to focus on the traditional bill drill shot at 7 yards, with a 2.0 par time as sort of the goal, but I struggled to find information on other distances.

Are there other distances that people frequently shoot at (I saw a lot of 3, 15, 25 yd variations)? If so, what are the recommended times for those distances?

Is there a different focus on shooting at further distances, or are you just being more disciplined in getting a better sight alignment and cleaner trigger presses as compared to the closer 7 yd distance?

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    I shot my first bill drills yesterday at 7 and 25 yds, and it got me wondering. I searched on this site and others, and most tend to focus on the traditional bill drill shot at 7 yards, with a 2.0 par time as sort of the goal, but I struggled to find information on other distances.

Are there other distances that people frequently shoot at (I saw a lot of 3, 15, 25 yd variations)? If so, what are the recommended times for those distances?

Is there a different focus on shooting at further distances, or are you just being more disciplined in getting a better sight alignment and cleaner trigger presses as compared to the closer 7 yd distance?
    Per Stoeger's skills and drills book:

3 yards: 1.7
    5 yards: 1.8
    7 yards: 2.0
    10 yards: 2.2
    15 yards: 2.5
    20 yards: 3.2
    25 yards: 4.0
    50 yards: 6.0

The Bill is a great way to work on putting together some very important skills: grip, trigger press, timing, sight tracking, stance, etc. I recommend against trying to beat a given par, and instead focus on what yields better par times for mostly As at a range of distances for you.

The questions you asked about focus, sights, and trigger are really good ones. But, I don't think there's an answer we can give you that will be helpful unless we were at the range together. You're going to need explore this for yourself as you shoot the Bill at 15 and 25 vs. 7.

E.g. If you grip tighter do your sights return more quickly? Does the front sight track straight up and down? How does your support and strong hand grip affect this? How fast can you slap the trigger and still shoot mostly As at 7 vs. 25? Does your stance affect how your sights track and how fast they return?
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 08-20-2016 at 01:00 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by BCL View Post
    Per Stoeger's skills and drills book:

3 yards: 1.7
    5 yards: 1.8
    7 yards: 2.0
    10 yards: 2.2
    15 yards: 2.5
    20 yards: 3.2
    25 yards: 4.0
    50 yards: 6.0
    Keep in mind those are GM times, or close to GM times.

User Tag List