Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Travis Haley - .7 second draw to headshot at 10 yds

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    If we all walked around in the same rig he is using in that video every single day then maybe anything he said or did would matter, except it does not since we do not.

I want to see him do a .7 from concealment with his incog, then I'll throw my hands up in worship, but we all know that won't happen.

Fact is he's doing an instructor zero bit here.

Look at me everyone, watch me do this cool super fast thing after talking about something that isn't applicable at all!

I am not drinking his kool aid and his none sense does nothing other than exhibits his need for self justification.

I'd wager we have a bunch of members here that can and have done .7 draws from a non-retention open top owb holster that's forward of the A-line. I'd bet good money that a money of them can replicate if not out run haley in an average day at the range.
    So I am not a huge fan of Travis's science thing but the dude can shoot. I think your assertion that a bunch could out shoot him may be a little over zealous bro.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    so trigger travel and weight of the trigger don't impact how long or short the press out is?
    They shouldn't effect which method you use -- what Gabe describes and uses versus a classic press out.

Regardless of which method (the two described above or something different) you use, trigger travel and weight definitely effect how you press the trigger. Longer and heavier triggers take more movement and pressure on the trigger.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Longer and heavier triggers take more movement and pressure on the trigger.
    Thanks.

I'd wager we have a bunch of members here that can and have done .7 draws from a non-retention open top owb holster that's forward of the A-line. I'd bet good money that a money of them can replicate if not out run haley in an average day at the range.
    So since there are people who can do it better than him he shouldn't do it? Maybe he should do the ol' two handed one handed draw instead.

So I am not a huge fan of Travis's science thing but the dude can shoot. I think your assertion that a bunch could out shoot him may be a little over zealous bro.
    Never said he can't shoot, most here "can shoot" if I am reading between the lines of your definition.

I do not believe I am over zealous in my assertions. We have some quality shooters here and it is my belief that too much weight is given to these youtube superstars and their abilities.

Notice how I don't say these things about Proctor, Miculek, etc...

Those guys also don't sell face cream...
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    So since there are people who can do it better than him he shouldn't do it? Maybe he should do the ol' two handed one handed draw instead.
    Like my wife, bringing stuff back from two years ago out of no where that isn't relevant.

What was my time on that draw from concealment btw?
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    I'm sorry sir, but you must be new to the internet. Shitting on everything and everyone is part of the culture and if you go around with positive contributions you're gonna stand out like a sore thumb. Just warning ya.
    Lol, not new, just willfully ignorant! I appreciate the warning though - not many get the courtesy of a an internet warning.

Cool, thanks for answering my questions. Was there something that made you switch what you did or was it just the evaluation of your skills and training that changed the way you draw the gun?
    Of course dude. I'd say it's just part of the evolution for me. Practicing doesn't necessarily keep things the same. Little things get added, deleted, noticed, emphasized, and/or ignored. I bet my draw will change subtly over time whether I want it to or not.

The most concrete answer I can give you comes from the Age Of Laboring to Draw And Shoot 3x5 Cards Quickly that many PFers put a lot of effort into. Trying to extend the gun in a manner that allows me to see and align the front and rear sights during that extension seems to cost me about two tenths on a 3x5 at 7 yards, compared to simply getting the gun to its final position forthwith and completing the shot from there.

A press-out done extremely well is a rather powerful draw and first shot. I think it can maybe be done even better another way, but most of the excellence is located in the struggling to improve.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Never said he can't shoot, most here "can shoot" if I am reading between the lines of your definition.

I do not believe I am over zealous in my assertions. We have some quality shooters here and it is my belief that too much weight is given to these youtube superstars and their abilities.

Notice how I don't say these things about Proctor, Miculek, etc...

Those guys also don't sell face cream...
    Voodoo, I am right there with you. A lot of guys here can shoot, Travis can also shoot very well and does it for a living. I also find it hard to talk shit on the guy and call him a youtube super star based off his real world combat experience. It also may be hard because he is a fellow marine I personally don't buy into the need for a instructor with combat experience but I do respect things people have done, same way I respect you for being a police officer.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 08-22-2016 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Lol, not new, just willfully ignorant! I appreciate the warning though - not many get the courtesy of a an internet warning.

Of course dude. I'd say it's just part of the evolution for me. Practicing doesn't necessarily keep things the same. Little things get added, deleted, noticed, emphasized, and/or ignored. I bet my draw will change subtly over time whether I want it to or not.

The most concrete answer I can give you comes from the Age Of Laboring to Draw And Shoot 3x5 Cards Quickly that many PFers put a lot of effort into. Trying to extend the gun in a manner that allows me to see and align the front and rear sights during that extension seems to cost me about two tenths on a 3x5 at 7 yards, compared to simply getting the gun to its final position forthwith and completing the shot from there.

A press-out done extremely well is a rather powerful draw and first shot. I think it can maybe be done even better another way, but most of the excellence is located in the struggling to improve.
    Awesome post Gabe, thank you. I find myself struggling with the choice of how I want to draw and I find that the more I learn and strive to be better it impacts my idea of how things should be done. Problems and issues, thanks for taking the time to chat with me about it.

Voodoo, I am right there with you. A lot of guys here can shoot, Travis can also shoot very well and does it for a living. I also find it hard to talk shit on the guy and call him a youtube super star based off his real world combat experience. It also may be hard because he is a fellow marine I personally don't buy into the need for a instructor with combat experience but I do respect things people have done, same way I respect you for being a police officer.
    I've posted as to why I do the shit talking I do on him. Restating the fact that he is a shill of the highest order doesn't win me any points, but I have no absolutely zero issue pointing out someone who is ethically bankrupt and will try to sell anything to make a buck, even if it sucks.

While I know I have gotten push-back before for saying so, but we are talking about his pistol skill here, right? I remember seeing a video of him on a rooftop with a recce style rifle shooting people. I have never said a negative word about his experience, service or his ability to shoot a rifle in the manner of which he has extensive experience doing. Carrying a pistol, especially concealed, is a completely different beast. Fellow marine or not, you have to call bullshit on people or else everyone and their mother will accept it as fact, eg; instructor zero.
    VDMSR.com

User Tag List