Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Threaded barrels

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    That's lone wolf for you. My buddy in college who literally spent >2k on Kel-tec products in one afternoon at the gun show (think about that) also loves LWD and bought one of their slides. The rear sight of the Ameriglos that he bought for it drifted in and out of the dovetail with mild thumb pressure. He blamed this on Ameriglo's product.... yeah...

same LWD slide had an LWD .357 SIG barrel that constantly experienced FTFeeds in the form of nosedives into the ramp. Yeah.
    I have 3 threaded bbls from 3 manufacturers (Silencerco, Surefire/ZEV, and KKM). All of them will start to lose the thread protector (and the suppressor) after a couple of shots or dry slide manipulations. They are all right hand threads. I wonder if the Euro left hand threads (HK, Glock, Sig) do this? Anyone know?

As for the OP... The extra velocity can't hurt anything with penetrating rounds. And if you're like the bulk of us here it's a great "excuse" to get a can one day.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I have 3 threaded bbls from 3 manufacturers (Silencerco, Surefire/ZEV, and KKM). All of them will start to lose the thread protector (and the suppressor) after a couple of shots or dry slide manipulations. They are all right hand threads. I wonder if the Euro left hand threads (HK, Glock, Sig) do this? Anyone know?
    I believe so; I've seen people on HKPro complain about factory H&K threaded barrels losing thread protectors, and those are in 13.5×1 LH. For thread protectors, I would say the best way to prevent it from loosening would probably be with a thread protector with an o-ring inside of it, so that it has more friction; mine from Tornado Technology seemed to have worked okay with the limited amount of rounds I used it with, though it took me way too long to get.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I have 3 threaded bbls from 3 manufacturers (Silencerco, Surefire/ZEV, and KKM). All of them will start to lose the thread protector (and the suppressor) after a couple of shots or dry slide manipulations.
    Fair counterpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I believe so; I've seen people on HKPro complain about factory H&K threaded barrels losing thread protectors, and those are in 13.5×1 LH. For thread protectors, I would say the best way to prevent it from loosening would probably be with a thread protector with an o-ring inside of it, so that it has more friction; mine from Tornado Technology seemed to have worked okay with the limited amount of rounds I used it with, though it took me way too long to get.
    Good to know - thanks! I don't use the TP while shooting. It's for storage and transport for me. It does irritate me that the cans will work loose. Had a buddy recommend Rockset. It does of course break down with heat, but it's not like I'm going to shoot a 2 day class with it on there. Also read about Teflon/plumbers tape, anti-seize, etc. Haven't had a chance to test any of them yet, but pistol cans for me are novelty items. They are fun and I own them because I can and because they give Libtards fits of hysteria.

Re thread protectors

I just take them off and leave them in a bag.

I've yet to do anything to any of the threads which somehow effect their function.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I have a SIG P226 with a factory threaded barrel (13.5x1LH), and when I first got it the thread protector would work loose sitting in the safe. But with a heavy dose of Slip 2000 grease on the threads, it stays locked on tight (the first time I was actually worried I would need a wrench or something). I take the protector off to shoot and it's pretty much a range gun, but I assume the grease would hold things in place under live fire or in a holster.

I've never once had the factory thread protector loosen on my HK45T.
    In fact, it often takes a pretty good twist to remove it for cleaning.
    Maybe I got the perfect combination of tolerance stacking between the barrel and protector.

One trick I've heard of for a problem protector is Teflon plumbers tape, throw a wrap around the threads and it keeps things tight with no mess.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List