Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smart Carry Adaptation - from TPI

Smart Carry Adaptation - from TPI

I saw this over on TPI and thought you guys might be interested. This is in regards to the Smart Carry holster. YammyMonkey is right handed but orders a left handed Smart Carry so that the band of the SC covers the grip and pulls it into the body.

Check it out.
    http://www.totalprotectioninteractiv...ad.php?t=20184

Pretty cool idea. My wife is carrying more regularly now, but never wears belts and most of the time, especially in fall is wearing skirts. I'll have to show her this and see what she thinks. Since it seems like you have some experience with these, how is the concealment without buying the opposite had and flipping it? You'd think that the smartcarry folks could've figured something out for that. And thanks for the reminder in TPI too; I should check that out more often.

I couldn't see anything. The link just took me to a page saying that I wasn't logged in or have permission to see the page... Don't care to join another site...

But, having used a Smartcarry everyday for the last several years, I'm having a difficult time understanding what the adaptation is from the description in the OP. I guess the pic would help...

Personally, I don't have any issues with the way it's designed to function and plan to buy another once my current one needs to be replaced.

To Paltares8,

The concealment is awesome. In my daily NPE I never worry about being "made". While the ease, and speed, of access isn't as good as more conventional carry methods, it's sure quicker than returning home for my gun when and if I ever need it. It allows me to always have a firearm on my person whereas I otherwise wouldn't. VERY comfortable too. My daily activities often requires me to be pretty active and often in weird and awkward positions. I basically forget it's even there and often wear it over 14 hours a day without a second thought. I wear mine as directed in their video, and with my shirt tucked into it so that my pants are the only thing over the gun. This way I can put my hand down my waistband and inside my pant to have easy access. The only negative I can mention would be that it won't be as effective if you wear tight fitting "skinny" jeans. But withe the looser fitting pants that I normally wear there's no issue with concealment, comfort, or access.

Site Supporter
    I've used one extensively. Probably should have replaced it, but I just keep fixing it.

In my mind, it works best with small/thin pieces. A 642 is about as big as I want to go in it, but it can work with slightly larger guns. Would hesitate to carry a Glock in one.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I've used one extensively. Probably should have replaced it, but I just keep fixing it.

In my mind, it works best with small/thin pieces. A 642 is about as big as I want to go in it, but it can work with slightly larger guns. Would hesitate to carry a Glock in one.
    My thoughts as well. I've used mine with a 638 mainly, and occasionally with a 640, for years, and just recently switched to an LCR. In my experience the 640 carries just as easily as the lighter guns in the Smartcarry. My Glocks are reserved for IWB or AIWB when I'm not in my regular NPE.

I have used one a good bit over the years. I am curious if the reason to not carry glock is safety or size related?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I have used one a good bit over the years. I am curious if the reason to not carry glock is safety or size related?
    Well, now that there are 42 and 43 GLOCKS, the thickness of the 19, 26, and 27 matter less. The SmartCarry is still a canvas gun pocket. I'm not putting a no manual safety gun with a short 5# trigger next to my junk in what amounts to a deep concealment cloth bag. Heck with that!

But the 26 (the only GLOCK I previously seriously thought about getting) is pretty thick for this carry method on my body shape. YMMV and all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    In my case it's both. I'm sure I could make a G26/27, or a 43 work but I'm not terribly comfortable with a striker fired gun in anything that doesn't have some degree of rigid structure completely protecting the TG. I have toyed with the idea of getting one of those tethered kydex TG thingies and affixing the tether to the Smartcarry somehow so that the TG cover comes off as the gun clears my waistline. I suppose that would solve my personal safety issues with a Glock in a Smartcarry. Even still, I find the shape of the revolver grip much easier to hide than the blocky grip of most autos.

The addition of a zacchaeus from dale Fricke would make a Glock pretty safe in an SC.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by Imaposer2 View Post
    I couldn't see anything. The link just took me to a page saying that I wasn't logged in or have permission to see the page... Don't care to join another site...

But, having used a Smartcarry everyday for the last several years, I'm having a difficult time understanding what the adaptation is from the description in the OP. I guess the pic would help...

Personally, I don't have any issues with the way it's designed to function and plan to buy another once my current one needs to be replaced.
    Essentially the hack is to use a Smartcarry of your opposite hand design. So if you are a righty, a left hand SC. Wear it with the pouch facing into your body and the belting running over the grip of the pistol, providing some tuck on the horizontal plane.

Hope that makes sense.

User Tag List