Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Best .40 Handgun?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Rumor mill is all I have. But for sure no VP9, as the request specifically calls for mag release button, and specifically forbids the paddle. Unless HK does a special frame for us (not unheard of) we will not be doing the VP9.

RUMOR mill says head of OFTP said in a meeting "the new gun will not be an off the shelf model, but will be made to fit our agency requests". This is not surprising. The Beretta folks invented the Brigadier slide to better handle our ammo. It was not off the shelf. The HK folks invented the LEM (law enforcement modification) after INS complained about the DAO pull weight. Sig folks invented the DAK for the same reason as the LEM... So our last three guns were not "off the shelf"...

RUMOR mill from two independent buddies says the Sig MPX is coming on line as out new sub gun. IF true, could there be a package deal with the 320?? Possibly.

BUT, since HSI just approved the Glock 19 and Glock 43 for personal purchase duty carry in the last 6 months... That says something too. We have close to 3000 personally owned Glock 9mm in duty holsters right now... Would HQ approve a new personal purchase 19/43 only to come back in 6 months and say "sorry, no more Glocks on duty"? They could, but I doubt it

If I were a betting man, it will be a 19, 19m or 320 mid size.

All speculation on my part. But plausible speculation.
    Pure speculation here but I agree the 19/19M or a version of the SIG P320C are the most likely choices.

Keep in mind, unlike 2004, which was ICE testing guns for all of DHS this testing is solely for ICE and based on ICE requirements.

CBP may go with ICE's testing or they may do something completely different.

I think the existing Glock POW's will remain authorized because they are all 9mm. .40 and unfortunately for me, .38 special will be going away.

Gadfly check your PMs re: the MPX.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Not common but the result of hot 155 grain ammo and no recoil spring changes. In ten years with the SIG 229R DAK's and about 16,000 to 17,000 in service this is only the second failure of this type I'm aware of and it could have been prevented with recoil spring changes.

I believe the US Coast Guard has had one or two of these with their SIGs and USBP has seen a handful with the P2000 but again you are talking hot ammo, no PM and still just a handful of cases out of tens of thousands of guns in service for a decade.

Attachment 10299

Attachment 10300Attachment 10301
    Crazy. Is the "spring box" something that is welded on after the slide is machined?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Crazy. Is the "spring box" something that is welded on after the slide is machined?
    No, it is part of the slide forging.

This an extreme example but predictable. It's no crazier than a car engine eventually siezing up if run it and you never change the oil.

User Tag List