Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Best .40 Handgun?

Site Supporter
    I will second the HK USP or Sig P229. They are tested and reliable in the .40.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    *glances up at right-hand corner of screen*

<redacted... for now>
    Last edited by Tamara; 08-31-2016 at 10:05 PM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Digiroc View Post
    This thread is asking the question of what is the best .40 handgun. I believe I know the answer to that...
    What cause do you have to believe that?

What are your qualifications on the topic that mean anybody should give your opinion credence? I am not being snarky, here; I am genuinely interested.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    What cause do you have to believe that? What are your qualifications on the topic that mean anybody should give your opinion credence? I am not being snarky, here; I am genuinely interested.
    As this is an internet forum about pistols I'm just a random poster stating my opinion as to what I believe the best .40 handgun. Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. Not everybody has a "Shorty Forty" though, mine should come today. It may turn out to be junk with a cracked lower, a shot out barrel, and missing key parts. It will only be in shooting it that I'll know if my opinion on this particular weapon is right for me. But here are some of the reasons I'm likely to like it:

Perhaps it's the Briley spherical titanium coated barrel bushing, maybe the hand fitted assembly by the Performance Center gunsmiths of yesteryear, perhaps it's the Unicorn tears used to lap and hone the action. Most likely it's the $1100 I paid for a 25 year old used handgun. It's a weapon built to a quality standard that today's manufacturers have given up on, not cost effective in today's mass market for injection molded plastics bringing down the cost to make the weapons cheap to build, and therefore more profitable to sell. The triumph of accountants over gunsmiths.

I'll be a bit snarky Tamara, what are your qualifications to question me about anything? What are your qualifications that give your opinion any weight on what I do with my own hard earned money? Now if you have an opinion, as a known industry shill, on the "best" .40 caliber handgun and why it is better than my candidate for same I'd like to hear it. Please back that opinion with your qualifications to make it and reasons for doing so.

Digiroc
    Last edited by Digiroc; 09-02-2016 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    No no, I got it, you were saying he had multiple planes. I laughed. Hence the rubbing the salt comment.

Also with the aid of Wikipedia the piper cub was built in like the 1940s so there's no way he had that one. A Piper of some sort anyway, and a Beechcraft and I think a pair of Cessnas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cubs have been around a long time, since the 30's. Lots of them still flying. I fly and instruct in a '46 model on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Cubs have been around a long time, since the 30's. Lots of them still flying. I fly and instruct in a '46 model on a regular basis.
    Quite a few still around. My first J3 flight was one we pulled out of a barn after 40+ years of neglect. A real stick and rudder, seat of the pants flying machine.

Digiroc

Quote Originally Posted by Digiroc View Post
    As this is an internet forum about pistols I'm just a random poster stating my opinion as to what I believe the best .40 handgun. Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. Not everybody has a "Shorty Forty" though, mine should come today.

I'll be a bit snarky Tamara, what are your qualifications to question me about anything? What are your qualifications that give your opinion any weight on what I do with my own hard earned money? Now if you have an opinion, as a known industry shill, on the "best" .40 caliber handgun and why it is better than my candidate for same I'd like to hear it. Please back that opinion with your qualifications to make it and reasons for doing so.

Digiroc

But this isn't an ordinary internet forum. You've expressed a strong opinion about a gun you don't even have in hand and have no experience shooting or using. That's common in forums, but not here. If you don't have experience, then any comments about a best of something should be qualified, and aren't generally so done here. Being some joe schmoe shooter/internet poster doesn't cut much mustard. Not all opinons are equal.

Tam isn't saying she knows everything about 40 cal pistols, shes asking how you have such a strong opinion and why anyone else would value it. She does have valid creds to opine though.

Deciding you want to fool with a certain gun for whatever reason is great. It doesn't by any means make it a best of anything, and what an individual thinks he likes best still doesnt qualify it as best in the general sense.

I don't think youre going to enjoy pfestivus.
    Last edited by Malamute; 09-02-2016 at 10:33 AM.

Is the Shorty Forty part of the Ladysmith line? I just put two and two together and it makes a lot of sense.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    But this isn't an ordinary internet forum... what an individual thinks he likes best still doesn't qualify it as best in the general sense... I don't think youre [SIC] going to enjoy qfestivus.
    I do have an opinion and I voted with my money on it. I've given my reasons for having that opinion and if others differ that is their right. In normal discourse my opinion may be challenged and I'd encourage that. You are right about Pistol-Forum being not just any internet forum, it has many professionals and LE types that bring a wealth of experience and expertise. But it is also quite cliquey with a core of regulars that seem to like casting dispersions on anyone not in their clique.

About this pfestivus, just what is it and why am I not going to like it? A grilling section on new members? I thought I went through that already in the Romper Room.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Is the Shorty Forty part of the Ladysmith line? I just put two and two together and it makes a lot of sense.

No, the Shorty Forty is quite distinct, being a Performance Center offering. The 4040PD, also a Performance Center item, is much closer to the LS & NL 3913 & 3914s sharing the same angled dust cover.

Digiroc

User Tag List