Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Best .40 Handgun?

Best .40 Handgun?

I know with the FBI and many police departments switching to 9mm, and many civilian shooters following suit, for many good reasons, that the .40 S&W is falling out of favor. However, I was wandering, if someone wanted to get a .40, what would be the best handgun to use it in?

What would be the best in terms of:

-Recoil management?
    -Reliability?
    -Durability?
    -Aftermarket support?
    -Accuracy?

I have read about the problems some guns have exhibited in this caliber(i.e. Glock 22, Beretta 96) and was wondering if their were any that manage to minimize or avoid those issues?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Best is always a bit of a loaded question, but to me the P229 or P226 is tough to beat. I find both easier to shoot than the Glock 22. I have no experience with the Beretta 96, but a neighboring PD had some longevity issue with theirs.

My choice is the SIG-Sauer P229. I too have heard of quite a few issues with the Beretta 96. I also have a Beretta Cougar 8040F that has functioned flawlessly and is a joy to shoot. Beretta no longer makes the Cougar, but Stoeger of Turkey makes the equivalent pistol at a very reasonable price.

I own a full-size SIG P320 in .45 ACP but I have shot a full-size P320 in .40 S&W a couple of times and was very impressed with its recoil management and accuracy.

Best .40 for what use?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

If you want reliability and durability as the primary attributes, I'd say USP40 followed by P226/229. Surf had a crazy number of rounds through a .40 P226, can't remember the exact number, but it was well north of 100k. If you want shootability, I would say G35/G22/some-other-striker-fired-gun-from-a-reputable-manufacturer. If you want accuracy, use a different caliber, get a custom 1911/2011 that prob won't run, or a P226/229/USP40. Aftermarket, Glock or 1911 = king.
    YMMV.

Sig P229 or HK USP (both were basically designed to handle the .40, IIRC).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    I know with the FBI and many police departments switching to 9mm, and many civilian shooters following suit, for many good reasons, that the .40 S&W is falling out of favor. However, I was wandering, if someone wanted to get a .40, what would be the best handgun to use it in?

What would be the best in terms of:

-Recoil management? M&P
    -Reliability? USP/P30 (pick an HK)
    -Durability? ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    -Aftermarket support? Easy, Glock
    -Accuracy? S&W 4013... Ok, seriously, M&P/Hk variant

I have read about the problems some guns have exhibited in this caliber(i.e. Glock 22, Beretta 96) and was wondering if their were any that manage to minimize or avoid those issues?
    Hmmm, need to hear your answer to GJM's "for what purpose" question, but I don't think there is one .40 pistol that checks all those boxes.

Glock 35, preferably a gen 3.
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

Not to be a "grammar nazi".. But you misspelled 9mm like 3 times.
    i used to wannabe

User Tag List