Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Best .40 Handgun?

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Can't complain about that Shorty, Digiroc.

Thanks Duelist, it's the finest handgun I own. Fit and finish is exemplary, must have been a safe queen all it's life. Shoots better than I will ever be able to shoot it, but I will shoot it. I've just sent my 3913NL out to be refinished and fitted with night sights so I'll carry it after a few boxes of ammo go through it. After that I'll most likely keep it at home. The thought of it being in an evidence locker after use will not appeal to me.

Digiroc

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    The best .40 caliber handgun is the one you trade in towards a 9mm.
    Just traded a G22 Gen 4 in on my second G19 Gen 4. I can shoot my left over 40 ammo in my G40.

Site Supporter
    Related to the thread drift - I wonder if USPSA will soon change its stance on "Major" in Limited such that the USPSA shooters move away from 40 S&W.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Related to the thread drift - I wonder if USPSA will soon change its stance on "Major" in Limited such that the USPSA shooters move away from 40 S&W.
    Unlikely. 9mm rules in production and where would all the .40 cal STIs go?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Just because the 9mm has become more effective, or is now more commonly seen as being more effective in measurable tests, doesn't mean the .40 has become somehow less effective. Yes, more recoil in equivalent loads. Yes, fewer rounds per magazine in equivalent sized pistols. But that's always been true. Doesn't mean the bullets suddenly became bunny farts just because another round is now percieved as the wave of the future.
    This. I will continue to carry whatever cartridge my dept issues me. My personal preference remains the .45 because voodoo and reasons, but my preference for freely issued training ammo trumps that by a bunch.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Bud's STILL has unissued Detroit PD M&P40s and they have for months and months now. .40 really is in a slowdown. I bought one and have been so happy with it I almost bought a second one just because they have fresh trijicon sights and 3 mags and are literally brand new. It's a steal on maybe the best-designed .40 on the market.

Of course, if you're not interested in having .40 in your collection at all, it'd be a bad deal for $100.
    For $100, I'd buy one. For $319, I'd rather look at used K frames. They will make me happier longer.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Bud's STILL has unissued Detroit PD M&P40s and they have for months and months now. .40 really is in a slowdown. I bought one and have been so happy with it I almost bought a second one just because they have fresh trijicon sights and 3 mags and are literally brand new. It's a steal on maybe the best-designed .40 on the market.

Of course, if you're not interested in having .40 in your collection at all, it'd be a bad deal for $100.
    The police department for Detroit (Google Afghanistan or Detroit) gave these pistols up... Before they were even issued! That alone scares me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I understand it, the argument for 9 over .40 is an "in total" argument, considering ease of shooting, capacity, and pistol durability. Still, on the day you go to shoot something that otherwise will hurt you, given a choice wouldn't you rather have the larger diameter, heavier weight bullet?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Unlikely. 9mm rules in production and where would all the .40 cal STIs go?
    Excuse for S_I, etc. to sell more 9mm guns, mags, etc and for USPSA competitors to buy more 9mm guns. The 3 Gunners are already buying the 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    As I understand it, the argument for 9 over .40 is an "in total" argument, considering ease of shooting, capacity, and pistol durability. Still, on the day you go to shoot something that otherwise will hurt you, given a choice wouldn't you rather have the larger diameter, heavier weight bullet?
    The reasons I went with .40

1) Mag restrictions in my state, back in 1999 9mm bullet design wasn't that great so I figured bigger is better.
    2) Still available during the ammo panic
    3) Seems to have an edge with 4 legged critters ( so I've heard)
    4) Recoil with my SIG .40's not so bad

User Tag List