Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Best .40 Handgun?

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I just fired up Tapatalk and that didn't really help. If you look very carefully you'll see that the "a" in my post is italicized (and bolded and also red in the second try).

As they say, a joke isn't funny if you have to explain it. Thanks Tapatalk for ruining my joke.
    No no, I got it, you were saying he had multiple planes. I laughed. Hence the rubbing the salt comment.

Also with the aid of Wikipedia the piper cub was built in like the 1940s so there's no way he had that one. A Piper of some sort anyway, and a Beechcraft and I think a pair of Cessnas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

I just fired up Tapatalk and that didn't really help. If you look very carefully you'll see that the "a" in my post is italicized (and bolded and also red in the second try).

As they say, a joke isn't funny if you have to explain it. Thanks Tapatalk for ruining my joke.
    Dammit! I fucked up the joke! Dude, it sucks steroid infused donkey dick! Unfortunately, I only have an iPhone in my apartment (no tv, no computer).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digroc, I think I have the nicest 185 in the world, but let's get back to discussing field pistols, or .40 pistols, or whatever this thread is. I really was surprised the 1066/1076 pistols didn't shoot hard cast, as I thought with their weight, and reputation for reliability, they would be the launchers. Unfortunately, they weren't reliable. I suspect the wide meplat of hard cast is what caused the problem. While the original 10mm ammo was hot, I believe it had more of FMJ style bullet profile. Have you shot any wide meplat ammo through Smith 3rd gen, 10mm semi-auto pistols?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Well my 185 was a stripped out platform with an inflight door for flying jumpers and a centerline 24" camera port for hauling a mapping camera around. The farthest North I ever got with it was Thunder Bay, a regular milk run for me doing photogrammetric coal pile inventory. Hardly a limo, more like a flying dump truck. Must be great flying one up in AK.

No I've never shot anything but factory copper plated ammo out of my 10's. Feed ramp issue I'd guess with the cast loads. For bear country I'd just carry my model 69 with similar hot hard casts in it. Only five shots, but how many would you expect to get off on a charging bear anyway?

My apologies to the crew here that I think my shorty 40 is so swell, but I just bought it, and I'm somewhat brimming over with pride of ownership, although I have yet to receive it (the auction just ended Friday) . I hope when it gets here later this week that my expectations are justified. I won't be shooting any hard cast out of it either, or even hot loads. I'm going to run Hornady Critical Defense out of it mostly.

Digiroc

Thanks Tapatalk for ruining my joke.
    Howdy Dong is laughing.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I got it on the first run.....
    but read it on a laptop.

I watched a float plane crash in our pond.[165 acres]...well, not my pond, but where I live. Surreal.

Bears, ours are black, and never the size of a Brown. I tote a 45 colt loaded with 300 grain hardcast to change their 'intention'.

The third gen Smiths were inherently reliable [for the most part], and my very first, was a 4043. A gun I should have not sold. For a DAO trigger, it was great.

Name:  Smith 4043.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  56.3 KB
    Last edited by CSW; 08-29-2016 at 06:09 AM.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by Digiroc View Post
    Well my 185 was a stripped out platform with an inflight door for flying jumpers and a centerline 24" camera port for hauling a mapping camera around. The farthest North I ever got with it was Thunder Bay, a regular milk run for me doing photogrammetric coal pile inventory. Hardly a limo, more like a flying dump truck. Must be great flying one up in AK.

No I've never shot anything but factory copper plated ammo out of my 10's. Feed ramp issue I'd guess with the cast loads. For bear country I'd just carry my model 69 with similar hot hard casts in it. Only five shots, but how many would you expect to get off on a charging bear anyway?

My apologies to the crew here that I think my shorty 40 is so swell, but I just bought it, and I'm somewhat brimming over with pride of ownership, although I have yet to receive it (the auction just ended Friday) . I hope when it gets here later this week that my expectations are justified. I won't be shooting any hard cast out of it either, or even hot loads. I'm going to run Hornady Critical Defense out of it mostly.

Digiroc
    No worries, I usually think whatever I am shooting is best. Check out Critical Duty. Here is my 185.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Not an LE myself and personally privy to such things, but based on what I've been told from people who are...

1 - They buy back current guns (generously).
    2 - They sell lower than anyone else.
    3 - They have done even trades - current non-glocks for glocks.
    4 - They have superior communications - very responsive - and often do it in person.
    5 - They try harder to get the business than anyone else.
    6 - They come to you, provide all testing guns/ammo
    7 - They provide free armorers classes (unlimited participation)
    8 - They provide free supply chain parts/tools

A bit pressed for time, but that's what pops in to my head right now. I can txt a few people and ask what, if anything, I missed or has changed.
    Fairly accurate. I characterize the Glock operation as a mediocre service pistol backed by a brilliant marketing campaign.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    No worries, I usually think whatever I am shooting is best. Check out Critical Duty. Here is my 185.

Critical Defense has adequate ballistics and lower recoil and I'm not planning any four legged encounters (although there ARE bears out there) also the Critical Duty seems to have negatives like pass through in human tissue that could result in unwanted collateral damage. Barrier shooting through doors and windows, not to mention walls, all of which are not desirable for my uses.

GJM ~ Your tires are bigger, but not by much. Yours appears to sport the same factory "Cardinal Red" paint scheme, so we had twins! My leading edges were unpainted aluminum a result of the STOL drooped leading edges I had installed, along with conversion of the starboard door to open vertically up to the wing so the door could be opened in-flight.

Great planes to fly! Ever do slips under full flaps for short landings over obstacles? The aircraft is placarded against that practice, ever find out why?

I'm that rarest of birds, an Old Bold Pilot.

Digiroc (using modifiers to confound TapTalk mobile users)
    Last edited by Digiroc; 08-29-2016 at 08:51 AM.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Fairly accurate. I characterize the Glock operation as a mediocre service pistol backed by a brilliant marketing campaign.
    I was frustrated when our M&P40 agency went to G35s. You dinguses had a better gun if you were gonna stick with .40! Gah.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

User Tag List