Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brier WA Cop fire for responding to active shooter in neighboring jurisdiction

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    So, in a situation like that, wouldnt the chief could go cover the town while his guy was running assistance in the neighboring area? Or go back him up?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding how the chief sees his job.
    That is how it is supposed to work in many of these small towns. I work with a rural S.O. Usually, there are two officers on graveyard, and usually 45 minutes apart. They help out other small towns that often only have one officer out. A recent officer involved shooting was off a pursuit with a single officer, single State DPS trooper on mutual aid, and.....the Sheriff in his personal pick up truck rolling from home as he was closer than his officer's back up. The Sheriff is a stud who always wants to be out "LEADING" his people. This includes rolling out of bed at 3:00 AM and jumping in his personal truck, or hitching up a trailer and his horse for rural manhunts (still use dogs and horses......very effectively. I came from a world of back up coming in a couple minutes, and we often both used and sent mutual aid. As I spend more time with rural and small agency folks, it takes big balls and mutual aid from neighboring agencies to remotely work and not get more of these folks killed.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I became aware of a shooting involving the chief of a pretty civilized town. Interestingly, there wasn't a big controversy over whether the shoot was good against the individual that was shot. I don't recall the details, but it sounded pretty sound in any event, though some that did become big publicity issues also sounded like they wouldn't be issues.

Mayor is defending the city saying he was failing training......25 year state police vet can't pass training in Mayberry......yea....and, other people were closer to the shooting so he didn't need to go. Sounds like the town is doubling down on "we really don't want any of that cop stuff going on".
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Mayor is defending the city saying he was failing training......25 year state police vet can't pass training in Mayberry......
    I'll resist the urge to make fun of state police just this one time, out of respect for his courage on this one. But it's tough. Especially with bow ties.

Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I'll resist the urge to make fun of state police just this one time, out of respect for his courage on this one. But it's tough. Especially with bow ties.
    Trust me, I get it. We had bow tie laterals. Generally, totally by the book letter of policy, and beloved by supervisors....do exactly what they are told, don't stir up much criminal stuff, and write lots of tickets. That is why this one smells so funny. I have a suspicion that there was some serious personal issues between Anderson and the Chief or at least some upper echelon. To me, any guy willing to roll balls to the wall to help on an in progress active shooter rather than run radar at 0300 is likely not a dud.......but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    It's OK to make fun of highway patrols......just not real State Police

Some places just don't want police work, or the liability that goes with it.
    Last edited by LSP552; 08-20-2016 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    So, in a situation like that, wouldnt the chief could go cover the town while his guy was running assistance in the neighboring area? Or go back him up?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding how the chief sees his job.

I'm not defending the firing, but do you really think chiefs are awake and monitoring the radio 24/7 and ready to spring instantly into action at any given moment?
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I'm not defending the firing, but do you really think chiefs are awake and monitoring the radio 24/7 and ready to spring instantly into action at any given moment?
    Hey, if volunteer firefighters can do it......

You don't have to be awake if you have a pager or paging through your cell phone.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Hey, if volunteer firefighters can do it......

You don't have to be awake if you have a pager or paging through your cell phone.
    I have paging through my cell phone. Somebody does have to send out the page though...
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

User Tag List