Thread: Dark Angel Medical DARK (Direct Action Response Training) AAR

Dark Angel Medical DARK (Direct Action Response Training) AAR

Dark Angel Medical DARK (Direct Action Response Training) TacMed type course.

I attended the DARK course in Longmont CO on 13-14 August. The class was taught by the owner and founder, Kerry Davis. The class was sold out.

Kerry is an RN and was a USAF Flight Medic, ER Medic, and Officer Training School Instructor. He previously worked with MagPul Dynamics and currently works with the SiG Sauer Academy as well as under the Dark Angel umbrella.

Kerry is passionate about ensuring people have basic emergency lifesaving skills and tools. His passion carries through into the class room and this helps make him a very good instructor.

I always have instructor dread on the first day of class. So many people either read the PowerPoint to you or spend the whole class telling you how cool and operator they are.

Not so with Kerry; he is very humble, knowledgeable, and knows how to get his point across to students. He has an engaging style, a wicked sense of humor (great obscure film references), and allows good interaction between students. Like all good instructors, he offers a way, or several ways, not ‘his way” to do things.

Learning occurred.

Most of the class were shooters. One was taking the class for the third time (it’s all about the fundamentals). There was a deputy sheriff, two couples from WY, and an ER surgeon. With the exception of the deputy and me, I suspect everyone was on their own dime.

I selected this class initially because his IFAK is compact and adheres to the KISS principle. Many IFAKs are trying to be a mobile trauma surgery. This takes up too much room on the vest and makes it slower to find what you need. His kit has the basics to “stop the dying” right now. Further reading of positive AARs prior to attending solidified my decision.

The Dark Angel med kit and training are useful across the spectrum of activities, not just applicable to shooting. These skills will help stop the dying in any trauma situation, MVA, GSW, or if your kid runs his arm through a glass door and severs an artery.

The first 1.5 days were lecture interspersed with demos of equipment and TQ self-application practice. The last half of TD2 was role play with partners.

It occurred to me a few years ago that we’ve got this training thing the wrong way round. We probably first need this class, then a trip to Gunsite or a class with a good traveling instructor. I’m glad we’re starting to realize that these skills are just as important as skill-at-arms.

Kerry currently has 51 documented saves with his training/med kits. He’s doing good work with this training.

I HIGHLY recommend this class.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

Good AAR and I couldn't agree more on the training comment. Thanks for sharing you thoughts on the class. I'm hoping to train with Kerry in the future.
    Owner of Ryker Nylon Gear - Ryker Nylon Gear Facebook

Kerry is definitely top-notch. His presentation on shock and its treatment is worth the price of his training class all by itself.

I definitely agree with you about the benefits of taking a medical class over a shooting class. It's honestly more applicable.

Did he show the video of his daughter shooting the Nerf machine gun?

I've always wanted to take one of Dark Angel Medical's classes, their schedule and locations of the classes are always difficult to schedule for me though.

Glad you enjoyed it and learned something.

Quality medical training is paramount.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Yes, on the daughter and the Nerf MG. "Get some!"
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I've always wanted to take one of Dark Angel Medical's classes, their schedule and locations of the classes are always difficult to schedule for me though.

Glad you enjoyed it and learned something.

Quality medical training is paramount.
    Caleb Causey at Lone Star Medics in Fort Worth is also top-notch. Perhaps you can fit that in when you venture southward?

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Caleb Causey at Lone Star Medics in Fort Worth is also top-notch. Perhaps you can fit that in when you venture southward?
    One class per trip is my max.

I plan on enjoying Texas
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I considered taking this class but I was out of town for the date. I'll have to take it next time they pass through. Thanks for a great AAR.

User Tag List