Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 AIWB Leather?

1911 AIWB Leather?

Anyone have experience with leather for AIWB? Specifically a 1911, but general info is welcome. I've only carried Glocks and HK's AIWB, and always in a Keeper or JMCK. I'd like an SME, but they appear to be unobtanium since 5 Shot Leather is still not taking orders (website says expect to open orders again on Aug, 1 2014). The In-Victus is an option, but thought I'd see if there are any others I should be looking at.

I'm open to new and used leather/kydex, and I've looked around in various forum sales sections for used AIWB leather, but not seeing anything at all. Maybe everyone has moved on to kydex, but thought I'd try leather for an inbound 1911 (thanks to Nyeti's thread and a friend who happily helped me spend money).

The only leather AIWB holster I have is for a G17 made by a guy in Texas. It was designed by Paul Gomez and given to me by Paul at the MidAtlantic Tactical Conference back in 2010. I carried it for about a year and really liked it, probably one of the most comfortable AIWB holsters I've ever used. Craig has it and as far as I know it's still holding up well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sharp View Post
    The only leather AIWB holster I have is for a G17 made by a guy in Texas. It was designed by Paul Gomez and given to me by Paul at the MidAtlantic Tactical Conference back in 2010. I carried it for about a year and really liked it, probably one of the most comfortable AIWB holsters I've ever used. Craig has it and as far as I know it's still holding up well.

Texas Comfort from Kolbeson Leatherworks?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

JRC's AIWB works really well for me with some guns and not so great with others. A key difference between it and the SME seems to be that the SME wants to ride near 12:00, and the JRC seems happier toward 1:30. With a full size 1911 (mine have been for commanders), I would expect the JRC to fit better, but taking advice about holster down selection from a guy with a cabinet dedicated to holsters is probably not a great idea.
    Ignore Alien Orders

1911 AIWB Leather?

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Texas Comfort from Kolbeson Leatherworks?
    That's the one. Paul gave me the one that was made for him, (one of the first ones made), so I'm not sure if it's the same as the final version.

Last edited by Paul Sharp; 08-16-2016 at 10:10 PM.
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    JRC's AIWB works really well for me with some guns and not so great with others. A key difference between it and the SME seems to be that the SME wants to ride near 12:00, and the JRC seems happier toward 1:30. With a full size 1911 (mine have been for commanders), I would expect the JRC to fit better, but taking advice about holster down selection from a guy with a cabinet dedicated to holsters is probably not a great idea.
    This will be for a Commander as well. I'll take a look at JRC, appreciate that. I carry at 12:30ish, just inside the gig line with top of the holster running down the zipper.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sharp View Post
    That's the one. Paul gave me the one that was made for him, (one of the first ones made), so I'm not sure if it's the same as the final version.

Thanks Paul. Unfortunately, I don't see it on their website, and looks like they're not accepting orders on anything at this time.

That blows, wish I had another recommendation for you.

Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 is my favorite. The Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 is my other one. The Summer Special 2 can be found at Brownells. Galco also makes a model similar to the Summer Special. Unfortunately, neither are AIWB.
    Last edited by DamonL; 08-16-2016 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 is my favorite. The Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 is my other one. The Summer Special 2 can be found at Brownells. Galco also makes a model similar to the Summer Special. Unfortunately, neither are AIWB.
    Thanks Damon. I have a MS Summer Special 2 already, and that will be what I use until I can secure something for AIWB.

Anyone else have any suggestions? Seems like leather is becoming more of a unicorn in a world of plastic guns and plastic holsters. Guess I'll post a WTB add for anything AIWB and look to place an order with Tony.

I knew a FAM who had the Galco equivalent of the SS with zero cant for AIWB. Not sure how he got the zero cant, maybe a factory custom?

User Tag List