Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LEOSA Insurance

Done. One less thing on the list. Thanks gents, I feel better now.
    Last edited by blues; 08-16-2016 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Okay, I called FEDS and found out that under LEOSA they do cover and defend "good Samaritan" actions taken to defend the lives of those in grave danger, as well as rendering assistance to law enforcement.

Second, they use a top D.C. law firm, Schertler & Onorato to defend their clients rather than farm out the cases.

And lastly, the gal in D.C. I spoke with has a sister living in my little town who is married to a trooper.

How weird is that? I think I've met my match.
    Did they confirm that you're covered with the plan you purchased?

I ask because It's an extra option with the active LEO plans. I paid extra with FEDS for the LEOSA coverage as LEOSA is not covered by the regular PLI plan for active LEOs. I don't ever carry anything but my issued P229 and agency authorized secondary (and 99% of the time it's the SIG, at that). I bought the LEOSA coverage just in case I find myself carrying a pistol not authorized by the agency for whatever infrequent, unusual reason.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Did they confirm that you're covered with the plan you purchased?

I ask because It's an extra option with the active LEO plans. I paid extra with FEDS for the LEOSA coverage as LEOSA is not covered by the regular PLI plan for active LEOs. I don't ever carry anything but my issued P229 and agency authorized secondary (and 99% of the time it's the SIG, at that). I bought the LEOSA coverage just in case I find myself carrying a pistol not authorized by the agency for whatever infrequent, unusual reason.
    Yep. I spent a good long while going over all my questions and concerns over the phone and was pleased with the answers and the helpfulness of the gal I spoke with.

My former agency will not get involved in LEOSA qualifications for retired agents so I qualify with the local sheriff's department and then obtain a card from the state Dept. of Justice certifying that I have passed the standards for LEOs in the state and which firearms I qualified with (day and night).

Hell, my old agency won't even commit to providing ID to its former employees stating that you once served as a special agent. (Fortunately I kept my retired creds and don't need to put them out. )

(I used to have a policy years ago when still on the job but it was via a different company though similar in scope and purpose.)
    Last edited by blues; 08-16-2016 at 02:28 PM.

Apologies for the necro-post, but I am a recently retired Fed and looking for information/opinions on the currently available LEOSA insurance carriers and plans. I think things have changed since this thread was started in 2016. While serving I had professional liability insurance through FEDS with the optional LEOSA coverage.

My initial reading is that the plans with unlimited criminal and civil defense expenses (CCW Safe, USCCA) seem to be the better deals.

https://www.foplegal.com/hr218.html

https://ccwsafe.com/product/hr218/

https://www.deltadefense.com/offers/...81ce#sds-chart

https://www.fedsprotection.com/leosa...e-retired-leos

I'm interested in your experience with these products. Thanks in advance. - Gary

I switched to CCW Safe from a combination of ACLDN / FEDS a few years back.

(I keep up a longstanding membership with FLEOA which includes legal representation in the event of a statutory or regulatory matter as opposed to a self-defense situation.)

I have the HR 218 plan with CCW Safe.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I have the HR 218 plan with CCW Safe.
    Verification of eligibility for the HR218 plan is easy enough, too. Just emailed a scan of my retiring agency's retirement ID and ten minutes later all done.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

User Tag List