Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Break the glass for the little one?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Know the signs of heat exhaustion and dehydration so you can articulate the ones you observed that led you to break the window.

My EDC knife has a window punch. I've used it once, and it works way better than I thought it would (ie, don't put a lot of muscle behind it and put your hand into the broken glass...)

https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Black.../dp/B0074FIPEM

My dog would bite anyone's ass trying to take it out of the sacred land of truckbedia. Granted I don't leave my dog in the vehicle when it's 100 out.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Site Supporter
    I've had the Kershaw speed openers try to open on their own. Little leery of them.

I've also got a Benchmade HK Knives Ally Knife which I used as an EDC on and off. Thoughts about this as a knife?

Quote Originally Posted by Kram View Post
    I carry a Resqme tool everyday while on shift and have one in each personal vehicle. They work better for breaking a window then any flashlight, baton, knife, ect and makes less of a mess. The seatbelt cutter works just as well. They are cheap and even comes in orange.

https://resqme.com/EN/

https://www.amazon.com/resqme-Origin.../dp/B000IE0EZO
    Thanks for the reminder. I'd been meaning to pick one of these up and I had a credit with amazon that just about covered the whole thing.

I've got Resqme's on every set of keys in my family, and extras paracorded into easy to reach places in personal and work vehicles. This year, I've used them to cut a woman out of the seatbelt of her burning car, and to cut a dude out of his seatbelt when he flipped his Jeep in front of me. Haven't had to break any glass yet, but I won't leave home without one nowadays...

added to my amazon cart for the next time I need to order things.
    seems like a useful item to use to pad up for free shipping. (no, I don't have prime. i'm a cheap but patient bastard. )
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Ive seen FD rescue people holding a tarp over a vehicle as a locksmith was attempting to get in in PHX. I keep a white sheet and some spring clips in my vehicle so if I had to leave the dog or was broke down I could make shade. Would help in an event like described. I often have tools in my vehicle, like my Dewalt cordless drill. Decided drilling a 3/8" hole in the roof and a 1/4" steel rod would probably allow the door to be unlocked. I bought a 1/4"x4' rod and keep it in the ride.

I usually wont take the dog above about 65 deg Feringus. Travelling in the summer changes the picture though. I keep a large face thermometer in the car and make sure it can be seen if anyone looked inside while Im in the bathroom at a rest stop. I don't want anyone rescuing my dog if its not needed. Its usually under 75 degrees by the time im back. I keep the AC on Maximum Arctic Blast setting all summer, for me and the dog. Its about 69 inside while the ride is running.

The Estwing framing hammer claw will probably be able to break a window if need be.

If an accidental lockout, such as by a kid or dog, many dealers can cut and deliver a key fairly quickly with the VIN number. Would work if time was not critical.
    Last edited by Malamute; 08-15-2016 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Know the signs of heat exhaustion and dehydration so you can articulate the ones you observed that led you to break the window.
    That's almost like saying that we should approach intervention intelligently, be prepared to articulate reasonable grounds for that intervention, and perhaps even consider options.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    We run at least one dog locked in a vehicle per shift, infant/toddlers at a minimum once a week. It's really sad how common it is, it's one of the few calls that really wears on me. Florida just passed a law allowing private citizens to break windows to rescue dogs out of vehicles. You have to notify 911 first, make sure car is locked and animal has to be in distress. We use slim jims primarily if it's not immediate life saving. We have another rescue tool that uses a long rod, wedges and a small air bag to push the door frame away from the roof line. You can then use the rod to actuate the door handle or lock button. We have gotten do good at jimmying cars that we have races on either side of the vehicle, for most of us we can have the door open in under a minute.

The ResQme tools are great, all my key rings have them on them and we keep three on our dive BC and surface water vests. Way better than a hammer or similar impact tool. We actually tested the "rescue" hammers inside of some submerged vehicles and it was extremely hard to swing the hammer to break the window, almost impossible. I really discourage the rescue our framing hammer ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by ffchewy17 View Post
    I really discourage the rescue our framing hammer ideas.

Framing hammers are pretty heat tolerant, they probably wouldnt require rescuing.

Seriously though, what were you meaning in having reservations about a framing hammer?

User Tag List