Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about Bangor Punta

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Smith during that era had a few large issues that tarnished their reputation, the most notable would be the one that occurred right after the huge and much-ballyhooed launch of the L-frame. Pimped as a medium-frame .357 that would be ideal for law enforcement, departments soon began reporting issues with primer flow tying up the cylinders, necessitating a huge recall.

As I mentioned before, I had a very early L-frame (581) that I got off Oleg Volk, who complained that it wouldn't shoot worth a darn and shaved lead something awful. Turns out that there was no way you could even drop a range rod down the bore, the axis of the bore and the top chamber were so misaligned. And that's not the kind of "oopsie" that happens with just one gun; I guarantee that there were as many as a hundred misaligned frames on either side of that one in the production line, and that's a gun that was specifically marketed to police departments.

And that's ignoring the issues on the semiauto side of the house at the time...
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    replaced with a Ruger/Colt hybrid he had made. This was back when LASD allowed individual officer purchases of duty guns as long as it was a six shot revolver chambered in .357 Magnum or .38 Special. He carried the Ruger/Colt until the department issued Berettas to everyone in '88 when I was six.

I have the Ruger/Colt now, and I still shoot it. It doesn't have the best trigger, but it's easily the most accurate gun I've ever shot. Kind of like "This is your father's revolver. Not as clumsy or random as an automatic; an elegant weapon for a more civilized age."
    Would that be a Python barrel on a Ruger frame. During my days competing on the PPC circuit in the late 70's it was popular to mount a Python Barrel on the Smith frame coming up with a "SMOLT". The claim was a better action with the accuracy of the Python barrel. I would imagine that the Ruger frame/action gave him a more robust firearm than the Colt frame/action.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Smith during that era had a few large issues that tarnished their reputation, the most notable would be the one that occurred right after the huge and much-ballyhooed launch of the L-frame. Pimped as a medium-frame .357 that would be ideal for law enforcement, departments soon began reporting issues with primer flow tying up the cylinders, necessitating a huge recall.

As I mentioned before, I had a very early L-frame (581) that I got off Oleg Volk, who complained that it wouldn't shoot worth a darn and shaved lead something awful. Turns out that there was no way you could even drop a range rod down the bore, the axis of the bore and the top chamber were so misaligned. And that's not the kind of "oopsie" that happens with just one gun; I guarantee that there were as many as a hundred misaligned frames on either side of that one in the production line, and that's a gun that was specifically marketed to police departments.

And that's ignoring the issues on the semiauto side of the house at the time...
    Very interesting.

We have in our company inventory of approx 50 guns, 30 of which date back to that time frame. At one time it was up around 80. I can never remember an issue with these guns and they had approx 750 to 1000 rounds through them each year. In fact I'm just now having to start changing springs out. My 686 is a early model dash nothing, I've had no issues that a good cleaning didn't fix. And my 645 has run like a top until recently when I had to replace the slide stop and and square up the slide lock notch on the slide. The ambi safety/decock right lever screw did keep backing out until S&W replaced it with a 3rd gen unit.

I guess I wasn't in tune to what was going on in the larger picture, everything was good in my world.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post
    Would that be a Python barrel on a Ruger frame. During my days competing on the PPC circuit in the late 70's it was popular to mount a Python Barrel on the Smith frame coming up with a "SMOLT". The claim was a better action with the accuracy of the Python barrel. I would imagine that the Ruger frame/action gave him a more robust firearm than the Colt frame/action.
    It is as a matter of fact a 6 inch Python barrel on a Security Six frame. From what I understand from my dad and the research I've done, the gun was turned out by the Davis shop in California, who specialized in building guns for PPC.

Back in the day, that was usually the mark of an accomplished wheel gun shooter.

Ruger + Colt = Couger

Smith & Wesson + Colt = Smolt

Jim Cirillo championed Dan Wesson barrels on S&W frames. Not aware of any sort of name though.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread:

I'd go for it. The BP guns were very rough compared to earlier S&Ws, but functional.

We have in our company inventory of approx 50 guns, 30 of which date back to that time frame. At one time it was up around 80. I can never remember an issue with these guns and they had approx 750 to 1000 rounds through them each year. In fact I'm just now having to start changing springs out. My 686 is a early model dash nothing, I've had no issues that a good cleaning didn't fix.
    If your duty weapons are "no-dash" L-frames that use magnum loads, it is recommended that you inspect the crane area to see if they have the "M" stamp that shows that they were returned for the recall to fit new bushings around the firing pin hole.

The recall was issued for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    If your duty weapons are "no-dash" L-frames that use magnum loads, it is recommended that you inspect the crane area to see if they have the "M" stamp that shows that they were returned for the recall to fit new bushings around the firing pin hole.

The recall was issued for a reason.
    Actually our duty weapons are all K frames, 10, 13, 64 & 65's. The L frame is my personal weapon I use for IDPA. Thanks for the heads up.
    Scott

Actually our duty weapons are all K frames, 10, 13, 64 & 65's.
    (Homer Simpson voice) Mm-mmm... K-frames... (/Homer Simpson voice)

Tell me about Bangor Punta.

Over Bangor Punta?
    No I don't think I'll ever get over Bangor Punta, those wounds run pretty deep.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Tell me about Bangor Punta.

Over Bangor Punta?
    No I don't think I'll ever get over Bangor Punta, those wounds run pretty deep.
    LOL
    On the hybrid thing- a guy I work with claimed to have a "Smith & Wesson Python" and I chalked it up to him being full of shit (which he usually is). Still haven't actually seen it but was interesting to read about them. Guess I didn't know as much as I thought (also not unusual).

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

User Tag List