Page 11 of 90 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Details out on Glock 17M

Personally, I'm interested to see detailed pictures of the new frame to see if there is any evidence of changes that would accomodate the installation of a manual safety. Like the plugs in the M&P frame.

I also suspect that somewhere the Army is testing a G22M, considering reports indicated Glock submitted both a 17 and 22 for the XM17 competition.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 08-14-2016 at 09:50 AM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Personally, I'm interested to see detailed pictures of the new frame to see if there is any evidence of changes that would accomodate the installation of a manual safety. Like the plugs in the M&P frame.

I also suspect that somewhere the Army is testing a G22M, considering reports indicated Glock submitted both a 17 and 22 for the XM17 competition.
    Didn't their request ask for a .40 caliber and 9mm version of each pistol? Might be misremembering.

I see that Glock is bringing back the magwell cutouts. Does anyone know why and when they got rid of them in the first place? My Gen2 has them and I know I've seen some Gen3's with them as well

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterguy View Post
    I can't imagine how hard it's gonna be to get a blue label one. I hope it's not like the mos currently is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    May be wrong but I think the bigger rush will be for the 19 than the 17. Or, may get lucky and most people will think that it's not worth getting a new gun for and then just have to worry about being stuck behind large agency orders

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Didn't their request ask for a .40 caliber and 9mm version of each pistol? Might be misremembering.
    The XM17 MHS RFP is not as transparent as the FBI document, and there are still aspects that have not been made public. But the caliber specification has always been ambiguous, and to my knowledge .40 wasn't specified as a required alternative caliber (though clearly industry moved in that direction with their submissions).

17M .........M17

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    The MHS left caliber "open".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    In the back of my mind, I have this fear regarding this FBI contract.

The subject, forthcoming two Glocks are in response to this Fed contract which, in this case, did materialize.

Before I forget, I'm not having a lot of confidence in the FBI tonight (Judge Jeanine P. is on TV in the background as I type this).
    I don't understand why an existing COTS (commercial off the shelf) handgun wasn't selected again as it's been for me at the local level.
    I do understand an $85M contract can buy some amount of customization and exclusivity, but let's not forget we're just talking two sizes of 9mm handgun.

I don't even understand why now was the time to convert from .40 to 9mm instead of a couple years later when/if any potential Gen5 is introduced.

I know I'm just one taxpayer and I don't get to know all the reasons why something is happening.

But if it was time, as it was for where I work, why not just go with the existing COTS G17Gen4 (and G19Gen4, for the other desired issued size).
    I'm concerned the FBI is now going to be the Beta-tester for some parts which may be incorporated into a forthcoming Gen5.
    Perhaps Glock should have donated all the guns to the FBI to get a great sample size for future firearms to be later sold. Maybe the Feds needed D. Trump to negotiate this contract.

Arguing with myself, perhaps the Feds are getting a good unit price (someone knows what the unit prices are, but I don't) and getting possible Gen5 features before anybody else at the same time. I'll likely be using my issued G17Gen4 another 10 years regardless of how nice it might be to always have the latest versions of firearms on the market. I'm actually quite satisfied with my G17Gen4 model for a duty gun.

These are just my thoughts as I fall asleep for the night.
    Federal acquisition and contracting rules, particularly for larger contracts are FAR different than state / local level purchasing

As noted elsewhere, when the FBI realized their Gen3 .40 cals were getting long in the tooth and made the decision to go 9mm, they did initially try to buy COTS Gen4 Glock 19's and 17s. This was the subject of protests based on federal acquisition and contracting rules.

The FBI would have to go through the same RFP and testing / selection process for a COTS gun. If you have to do all that anyway, you may as well ask for what you want in the RFP.

In addition to the FBI, DHS ICE is still testing striker fired 9mm handguns to replace .40 cal SIG 229DAKs. This contract will be about 5k guns larger than the FBI contract.

That said, my money is on the 17/19M being primarily designed with the Military MHS contract in mind.

All this talk and excitement reminds me of the good old days of Guns & Blammo featuring a "new and improved" 1911 in every cover...

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    All this talk and excitement reminds me of the good old days of Guns & Blammo featuring a "new and improved" 1911 in every cover...
    Reminds me of the XM9 trials of my youth...

User Tag List