Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RFI: Eye Doctor/Lasik/PRK

Starbursts and halos were a concern but I see them now with glasses and contacts so I'm not sure what to hope for or expect there.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

BJJ is one of my main concerns with LASIK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally know two guys who got PRK in the last year. Both are full proponents of it and love the results. The recovery for one guy wasn't too bad, the recommendation very for the other was excruciating. He locked himself in his closet for 3 days before coming out, turned it into an opium den because any presence of light was excruciating. By the end of the week the pain went down.

Both had dramatic improvements in vision, and neither had blurs, halos, etc for longer than a month.

If this new version of Lasik is as rugged as PRK, I might try that instead.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I would see you optometrist and get examined again. See if you can correct it with contacts or glasses. Those options are reversible; eye surgery is not. It's like getting a Glock MOS vs. having the slide milled for something that can be obsolete the next year.
    I was told by the opthamologist that the life time risk for LASIK/LASEK is better than that for contacts due to the risk of infection. Not sure if the numbers bear that out, but contact lenses introduce a risk of infection if you are not very careful and eye infections can result in permanent vision loss relatively quickly.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

- William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by S Jenks View Post
    My vision was so bad I couldn't see near, far, anything really. My corneas weren't thick enough for Lasik, PRK, etc. I had Visian ICL in 2012 and haven't regretted it in the slightest. Expensive but perfect for my situation.

https://us.discovericl.com
    Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    I'm on my last box of contacts, I'm trying to make this happen in lieu of buying more...
    This is an old post, so since 2016, yes, I did get ICLs. I got them January 2017, so it's been over a year.

I can't believe it took me so friggin' long and I wasted money on so many other things first.

It's amazing to see without help. Although I do occasionally miss being able to take off my lenses and have a super macro lens for eyes to look at tiny/close things.
    Last edited by LOKNLOD; 02-20-2018 at 11:29 PM.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    This is an old post, so since 2016, yes, I did get ICLs. I got them January 2017, so it's been over a year.

I can't believe it took me so friggin' long and I wasted money on so many other things first.

It's amazing to see without help. Although I do occasionally miss being able to take off my lenses and have a super macro lens for eyes to look at tiny/close things.
    The b st advice I can give regarding vision correction surgery is DO NOT GET IT!

When my son (now almost 8) was 18 months old, he accidentally poked my wife in her eye. She had LASIK 10 years prior to the incident. Because the cornea was still weakened from the surgery, she was more prone to injury, and multiple layers of the cornea were removed by the accidental poke. After multiple dr visits and a very painful healing process, she still does not see as well as she did previously. Years later, she was still having separations of the layers of her cornea if, for example, they stuck to her eyelid at night.

Regardless of what your eye dr may tell you, the cornea is permanently weakened.

I wore contact lenses for 49 years without any issues, and now wear glasses. I will very happily wear glasses for the rest of my life before risking what my wife went through.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

My optometrist always tells me that if I can see with glasses, don't get the surgery.
    Should I get cataracts, I will go with the best available technology, even if I have to pay extra above what Medicare will cover.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    The b st advice I can give regarding vision correction surgery is DO NOT GET IT!

When my son (now almost 8) was 18 months old, he accidentally poked my wife in her eye. She had LASIK 10 years prior to the incident. Because the cornea was still weakened from the surgery, she was more prone to injury, and multiple layers of the cornea were removed by the accidental poke. After multiple dr visits and a very painful healing process, she still does not see as well as she did previously. Years later, she was still having separations of the layers of her cornea if, for example, they stuck to her eyelid at night.

Regardless of what your eye dr may tell you, the cornea is permanently weakened.

I wore contact lenses for 49 years without any issues, and now wear glasses. I will very happily wear glasses for the rest of my life before risking what my wife went through.

I thought I typed 30 years.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I thought I typed 30 years.

Maybe you need your eyes fixed.

I didn't get lasik, and they didn't mess with my corneas. Technically ICL is actually reversible, even. I was a -12.0 in contacts (like -14 in glasses, I think) and had been since grade school. Glasses were thick and miserable. Contacts were limiting. I'll take the trade off.

No, I probably wouldn't get Lasik to fix a -2.0 or something minor, either though. But I was completely non-functionally helpless without correction. That was always a layer of vulnerability I wasn't comfortable having.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

My reaction so far...

Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List