Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Eye Doctor/Lasik/PRK

I had an awful experience with PRK. One of the 1% percent (or so they say) that has trouble with Haze. You do not want Haze. Perhaps I am really the 1 percent... a statistical anomaly... but I cannot recommend PRK when the option for LASIK is available.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Part of the reason I am looking at PRK soon, the other being I can't watch videos of the lasik flap without getting queasy as fuck. I can see all sorts of gore and what not but making the flap scares the shit outta me.
    I don't know that grinding away the covering of the eye is any better. Especially given that you are, rather necessarily, watching it happen. I would still do PRK again, and might actually need to in the future. The clinic I went to offered to give a valium or xanax or something ahead of time, so most people were pretty mellow going through the procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    As a two time PRK patient, I would say get it done if needed. It is painful for a few days, but results will exceed your expectations if you use the drops as directed.
    I was down for more than a few days. Certainly functional, but I often had to hold my eye open at times. About three days after the surgery, my PayPal account got hacked, and I had to drive myself to the bank to discuss blocking the transaction. Sitting there across from the bank lady having to manually hold my eye open so I could sort of see her must have been interesting on her part.

I got very little work done for about three weeks. Then again, I spend all day staring at tiny text on a computer screen, so that was mostly why.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by S Jenks View Post
    My vision was so bad I couldn't see near, far, anything really. My corneas weren't thick enough for Lasik, PRK, etc. I had Visian ICL in 2012 and haven't regretted it in the slightest. Expensive but perfect for my situation.

https://us.discovericl.com
    I'm on my last box of contacts, I'm trying to make this happen in lieu of buying more...
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I had LASIK in 2000 and a PRK revision in the left eye in 2010. My presurgery vision was 20/400, and I was doing a lot of open-water swimming at the time. Sucks when you can't see the shore. At that time, the flaps were still being made with a microkeratome or blade; now the flap can be made with either blade or laser. The key is to find a competent surgeon with state-of-the-art equipment. My own experience is that my left eye relapsed to about 20/35 after 10 years, which is why I had the PRK adjustment. PRK is normally painful during recovery and healing, but I had no discomfort as the corneal nerves had been cut during the LASIK. The PRK procedure gave me monovision, which means I have good close vision with my right eye (front sight is in focus), distance vision with the left. I wear 2.5X loupes to do surgery, but pretty much everyone I know does this. Again, my experience was that the surgery was no big deal, the recovery easy, the benefit immediate. I continue to be thrilled with the result. At age 61, I now wear glasses when driving at night, as my vision is not as good in low light. Aimpoint dots bloom a bit; I can sharpen the dot up by wearing a mild corrective lens, but find that I shoot just as well with a bit of dot bloom.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    I My presurgery vision was 20/400, and I was doing a lot of open-water swimming at the time. Sucks when you can't see the shore.
    See the shore? I'd be happy to see the water.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Site Supporter
    I had LASIK done 3 years ago. I couldn't even read a huge label with it shoved in my face......I was basically blind without glasses. The LASIK has been nice, not perfect but nice. I had to have a touch up and my night vision is still not perfect. I can see fine, but lights have odd shapes and halos. It's a trade off though, and I will take it. It's nice not crawling around on the floor at 30 years old feeling for you glasses after not knocking them off.

Scheduled for 3/2. Anyone else have it in the last year and a half?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Scheduled for 3/2. Anyone else have it in the last year and a half?
    LASIK or PRK? I’m close to getting lasik, I’m just not mentally there yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PRK. I wanted it for BJJ and other physical stuff, plus the flap scares the hell outta me. They also found that some scarring on my right cornea is bad enough to potentially be a concern so they suggest PRK anyway.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Got PRK about a year ago. Less than happy with the results, due to poor low-light vision, particularly with lots of starbursting and halos (maybe should have looked at ICLs harder), but c'est la vie. I still have some mild astigmatism in my left eye, which I might be able to get touched up, but 20/20 otherwise in normal lighting. I actually haven't felt that big a lifestyle change; I had horrible vision before (prescription was ~9.0 diopters), but I guess I was used to putting on contacts the first thing I woke up, so meh. No noticeable issues related to optics/RDSes, nor any issues with dry eye.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 02-20-2018 at 02:39 PM.

User Tag List