Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Week 177: If You Aren't Fast Enough, It Doesn't Matter How Accurate You Are

Target - 4x6" chest box on range target.
    Gun - Gen 4 G17, OEM barrel, 10-8 Performance FO sights, JRC AIWB-CDA II under a t-shirt
    .46s/hit (shot from low ready - gun at bottom of target)
    1.43s/hit
    Pass
    Observations: Yesterday was my first serious live fire with my new JRC AIWB-CDA II. This was my first shot from the holster. I've done some dry fire but haven't been as diligent as I should be and that's reflected in my draw time. 1.4 is my "normal" cold time to an 8" circle @ 7yds, or at least it was when I was shooting more regularly. I've got some work to do. Both rounds were good elevation-wise, though the low ready shot was centered whereas the drawn shot was about 2" to its left.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Can I get a definition of "ready position" please sir.
    Luke, did you shoot the drill?

Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    Luke, did you shoot the drill?

Man I've been slacking so hard on live fire. My life has been so crazy I'm barley able to dry fire. It's so bad last week my boss gave me his open gun and a bag of ammo and said to shoot it and see what I thought. Free gun and ammo and it hasn't left the kitchen counter. I'm going to try to live fire Sunday.

Magic 8 ball says a .42 and a .86. Be back soon to see if it was right.
    i used to wannabe

Man I've been slacking so hard on live fire. My life has been so crazy I'm barley able to dry fire. It's so bad last week my boss gave me his open gun and a bag of ammo and said to shoot it and see what I thought. Free gun and ammo and it hasn't left the kitchen counter. I'm going to try to live fire Sunday.

Magic 8 ball says a .42 and a .86. Be back soon to see if it was right.
    Dude! I thought I was master of excuses!

OK, maybe I still am...

You reckon your 0.42 will be from Mr_White's low ready or you wanna scupper your scores and try from a compressed ready?

It's so bad last week my boss gave me his open gun and a bag of ammo and said to shoot it and see what I thought. Free gun and ammo and it hasn't left the kitchen counter.
    I wish my boss had any gun!

Aug 26

Shot with CZ 75 SP01 from compressed ready for 1st string, and from concealment with polo on 2nd string. Intent of range day was speed, so I started with this drill.

String 1: Shot 10 shots, with most ranging from 0.52 - 0.60 sec. Many hits, but a few fliers high getting on trigger before alignment was firm enough. Sadly this felt slow and never broke 0.50 sec, so failed.

String 2: Much better. Had 4 misses out of 10. Most were in the 1.00-1.05 range, but hit 0.98 sec twice, and even hit 0.90 once.

What I noticed:

1. Good thing is most of the shots were vertically aligned, with only 1 left and 2 low due to poor alignment & trigger manipulation.

2. Will keep working this with bill drills to see if I can improve my speed. I think hitting 3 of 7 below 1.00 sec is an improvement for me, especially that 0.90 sec time.

3. pressout sucked, but draw speed managed to break 1.00 sec three times, with a 0.90 sec in there. I must be saving time elsewhere since my pressout was slower this week than last week.

4. Dry fire is paying off a bit, so will continue to work speed on the draw as well dry to see how much I can improve this in live fire.

Name:  DOTW 177.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  25.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by scw2; 08-29-2016 at 09:21 PM.

Sept 10: Want to keep working on my draw speed, so will continue to work this. Have only been dry firing for a couple weeks, so wanted to see what I could turn in at the range with my usual set up of polo + CZ 75 SP01 and a CCC Gestalt holster.

Ran this at 5 yards to start by accident, somehow had really fast times but lots of misses either just off paper or on the white. Hits at 1.07 s and 0.94 s, then misses at 0.66 s and 0.73 s.

Moved back to 3 yards, and started around 1.02 - 1.09 range after the first 5 rounds, all hits.
    Next 10 rounds I was able to consistently get under 1.0 sec, with multiple hits at 0.94 sec.

What I observed - need to keep working at this, to improve my visual speed to see enough of the sights, plus get a good enough natrual index and solid grip fast enough to rip a fast shot. Grip will be huge since a lot of my fast shots were right near extension, but poor trigger and not enough grip meant shots went low. I think DOTW reporting closes soon, but will keep this drill in the rotation for a few more weeks/months to see what I can do with improving speed and accuracy.

Name:  DOTW 177.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  29.4 KB

Shot the drill again on September 7th.
    Name:  16-09-07 GSI (5).jpg
Views: 81
Size:  20.6 KB

From low ready: 0.55, 0.56, 0.64, 0.72, 0.52, 0.60, 0.50, 0.47
    From the holster: 1.51, 1.63, 1.59, 1.54, 1.52, 1.62, 1.70, 1.51, 1.70, 1.64

Same gear as before: G17K, Ready Tactical OWB, no concealment and as close as I can! (3 yards)

Observations: my times are improving slowly but I threw more shots out this week than last time round. I'm thinking there's a better consistency on my times but I've not put the numbers into Excel to show that. Subjective? Yes.
    Last edited by hiro; 09-13-2016 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Added observations

User Tag List