Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cycling immediately after a dud vs waiting...

Saw one with 22LR. It was about 1 second long - just long enough for a couple ROs on the line (myself included) to turn our heads on the "click" and see the ignition.

I have never witnessed a hang-fire. In a range environment, if I experience a dead primer, and notice it, I will wait a bit, just in case. Noticing it before firing the next round does not always happen.

Had one when I was shooting some old .38 special ammo, remember it was about 1 second . Pulled the trigger heard a small pop and a sizzle noise, then a bang . Glad I wasn't shooting quickly!

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Yeah, only hangfire I've seen was a buddy shooting really crappy Pakistani 9mm surplus that was probably intended for SMGs. Was just about or sightly less than a second delay. Otherwise, never.

The old standard was, that if the gun does not go off, wait 30 seconds to be sure it is a misfire and not a hangfire. You do not want the gun pointed in an unsafe direction or the action open if it is a hangfire.

Ammo is better than when that was formulated. I have had one hangfire ever, on a 12 gauge at Trap. "Pull," click, pause, bang." The pause was perhaps a second, time enough for me to let the gun off my shoulder. Ouch.
    I have seen a VERY few others over my career, none recently. I don't worry about hangfires.
    I do worry about powder-free "squibs" sticking a bullet in the barrel; too common these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I do worry about powder-free "squibs" sticking a bullet in the barrel; too common these days.
    Precisely. This is a far more common issue.

Site Supporter
    This is something I have personally seen, although not often.

Been shooting since I was 4; started month before JFK got pink-misted.

Never had a hangfire until this Monday! Prolly this threads fault.

Finally got around to shooting different loads to find what the new-to-me old Speed-Six snubby .38 likes.

Using old box of HSM 158 SWCs, last round clicked instead of boomed.

WTF?

Waited 30 seconds. Opened cylinder. Good primer hit. Bullet still in case.

Set it up. Aimed carefully. Pressed trigger. CLICK Part Deaux.

Rinse. Lather. Repeat.

BOOM!!!

My only guess is an uncommonly tough primer.

The more you shoot, the more you see shit happen...
    Last edited by coldcase1984; 08-19-2016 at 08:48 AM.
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

That is not a hangfire to my understanding, that is a hard primer that took three whacks.

Site Supporter
    That is not a hangfire to my understanding, that is a hard primer that took three whacks.
    Hang fire is when the primer detonates, but the powder takes a bit to get convinced that it's time to combust.

User Tag List