Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cycling immediately after a dud vs waiting...

Cycling immediately after a dud vs waiting...

I've been watching some revolver shooters in competitions and have noticed in the odd case that they fire and the round doesn't go off. In these instances I've observed them to continue shooting, and then quickly try and cycle back to the dud round to shoot it again (in some cases it goes off the 2nd time) before the targets turn.

This goes against what I've been advised which is if you fire, and it doesn't go off - to wait up to 10 seconds before either cycling, or removing the bullet.

So... I was just wondering - if this is something that's isolated to the club I've been observing, or whether it's quite common? (I imagine if it's common then the 10 seconds thing might be more a theoretical precaution, but not something that happens often)?

What do you guys do if you get a dud in a revolver? Keep on firing - or hold the gun towards the target and wait 10 seconds?

Site Supporter
    In all of the tens of thousands of rounds ai have put down range, as well as countless rounds fired by other shooters I have observed, I have never, ever seen a hang fire. I asked on another forum if anyone had ever seen one, and received zero responses. If anyone reading this has ever seen one, please post. Otherwise, I would have to consider them to be quite rare.

Given how rarely they occur, I do not see much issue with pulling the trigger again when getting a misfire with a revolver.

In most, but not all, cases in which I have had a misfire, I was able to shoot that cartridge with a second attempt.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I had a box of old WWII 7.62 Tokarev ammo hangfire pretty much every single round once, but that's pretty much it.

Like Bill said, I think the hang fire is from a bygone Era. I've never witnessed one.

Site Supporter
    Muzzleloaders, I've seen a few. Modern weapons and ammunition? I don't recall ever seeing one.

Had a couple with some old surplus .303. I think I might have also once with a pistol of some type but I don't really remember.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

I've only seen one in the last thirty years, with a 1911 in .45acp.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I have witnessed one, and it was pretty brief. Maybe 1/4 second. I would consider exceedingly rare.

I've only ever seen them with cheap old surplus ammo and even then the round fired before the shooter was able to respond, the hang was barely noticeable to observers. Never seen or had one with new ammo. I've had a couple misfires that went off when struck again and one round that was a complete dud, that's not counting rimfire ammo just center fire.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I had a few, decades ago, from using WD-40. Three or four rounds out of one cylinder. "Click.......

Only happened that one time.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List