Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "Adam 12, see the man...."

It was all about the "specialties" to folks in various areas of the country; still is, in fact, even for the soulless, far-above-in-numbers-of-every-other-service-pistol Grocks. Clamshell and clamshell-type uniform revolver holsters were still popular in the west coast well into the 80s. In the southern and central part of the country, clams were not well-liked by most; by far the solid holsters with various thumb-straps were popular.

And then of course there was that Jay-Pee (?) thing that lots of eastern cops used back then, along with other, similar types.

You know what disturbs me these days? Many of the plastic/fake leather service holsters most cops are issued these days have a lot of second-and-third type of "safety" devices, that makes me wonder just how easily- much less quickly- a lot of those things are at getting out service pieces. Of course, part of the problem is that most of the new hires really don't know that much about guns in general, nor do they care. Most of them do the best they can in regards to what they are issued and taught with, so I suppose things could be worse.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    You know what disturbs me these days? Many of the plastic/fake leather service holsters most cops are issued these days have a lot of second-and-third type of "safety" devices, that makes me wonder just how easily- much less quickly- a lot of those things are at getting out service pieces.
    Speed vs. retention?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Speed vs. retention?
    Yes. I'm smart enough to know that times have changed- a lot- from the many moons I carried a service weapon in uniform. Some of those changes may indeed be better... but I certainly wonder about that sometime.

Site Supporter
    I traded off my 14 awhile back. I kept my 4" 15 though. I have a 2" 15 that I need to take shooting soon. I wrote to farrant back in the the late 80's. I sure it was back when you had to send in a self addresses stamped envelope to get a price sheet. I remember it was on yellow paper and had drawings of the grips available. I didn't order any because you had to cut the front bottom corner of the pistol frame. I will try and find the price list and post a copy

I'll be in my bunk for a couple minutes.
    Last edited by hufnagel; 08-12-2016 at 09:15 AM.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B
    Did Martin Milner's Model 15 ever sell?
    Not sure. Scotty Reitz has been all over me trying to get me to buy it. They just wanted way more than I could justify. In high school and college I used to hang out right in front of Milners beach house when we went Boggie Boarding, or for beach parties. I would love to have the gun.
    If I recall correctly, when it was offered on GB before his passing, the bids were over $5,000 and the reserve hadn't been met.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I traded off my 14 awhile back. I kept my 4" 15 though. I have a 2" 15 that I need to take shooting soon. I wrote to farrant back in the the late 80's. I sure it was back when you had to send in a self addresses stamped envelope to get a price sheet. I remember it was on yellow paper and had drawings of the grips available. I didn't order any because you had to cut the front bottom corner of the pistol frame. I will try and find the price list and post a copy
    You didn't have to cut the frame. He made grips that fit the standard frame as well as those for cut frames. I have at least 6 sets for standard grip frames.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    If I recall correctly, when it was offered on GB before his passing, the bids were over $5,000 and the reserve hadn't been met.
    I recall being pretty fixed on getting $10,000 for it......which obviously is more than the market is willing to pay.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List