Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Magpul BAD - is it just that?

Magpul BAD - is it just that?

The Magpul BAD - Is it just that, bad?

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG980/100

While the title sounds bias, but I'm hoping to create a open discussion. Personally I'm not vested in this either way.

Recently we've all seen and heard about the dangers of the SERPA holster and some pistol mounted lights that are attributed to the cause of an AD / ND / UD / Sudden Bang. Which brings me to my point, wouldn't a device that is -inside- the trigger guard be even that more likely to result in the finger pulling the trigger? Has anyone ever heard of that happening?

Interesting you bring this up. I was about to remove mine for that very reason, but I can't find that Damn wrench.
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Dropkick View Post
    The Magpul BAD - Is it just that, bad?

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG980/100

While the title sounds bias, but I'm hoping to create a open discussion. Personally I'm not vested in this either way.

Recently we've all seen and heard about the dangers of the SERPA holster and some pistol mounted lights that are attributed to the cause of an AD / ND / UD / Sudden Bang. Which brings me to my point, wouldn't a device that is -inside- the trigger guard be even that more likely to result in the finger pulling the trigger? Has anyone ever heard of that happening?
    I've not heard of it, but it was concerning for me enough not to get one after I had played with one. That, and some reliability issues were reported.

Playing a devil's advocate, the part that you touch is not truly inside a trigger guard. The proximity of the BAD's tip to a trigger is not much different distance-wise than proximity of trigger and magazine pad release on HK pistols, for example...

I've had one on my AR's for over 2 years and 10k rounds. No issues whatsoever. No ND's, no snagging on other equipment, nada.

It's like anything else, I guess. If you train with it, and understand it's strengths and weaknesses, and are mindful of them all the time... I don't see how there's an issue. Kinda like muzzle discipline. You just have to get it because if you don't, someones going to smack you up side the head.

The spot where it's located in the trigger guard requires everyone except Edward Scissorhands to have their index finger extended fully to interact with it. If you can't do that, don't use it. It's good gear... for me. If you use it and don't feel safe, by all means, take it off.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Keep in mind that carbines are not my specialty, nor is running one the main focus of my practice...but my 2 cents:

- Extra bits of stuff inside the trigger guard is, ceteris paribus, not generally a good thing. That being said, I'm personally unaware of any safety issues that have resulted from use of the BAD. The units I've tried have stuck through the trigger guard fully...leaving a little tab that protrudes so your finger isn't technically inside the trigger guard when you use it...assuming that all of them are set up the way the ones I've tried are. I'd be more worried about it snagging on something in the real world.

- The BAD lever is really only something you go near when the weapon is in a non-functioning state, meaning a reload or clearing a malfunction. In the situations where it is supposed to be used, the weapon theoretically has a dead trigger.

- Initially upon seeing the BAD lever I had similar safety concerns...but after using it I didn't see where it would add in any significant way to the chances of an unintentional discharge of the weapon with your finger. (Again, just my experience. Others may have different conclusions.) Whether or not it might snag on stuff and direct more foreign (non-finger) items into the trigger guard, I cannot say.

- All of that being said, I don't use the BAD lever because while it made locking the bolt back during a malfunction much quicker, it didn't add any other tangible practical value to my ability to get results out of the carbine. It also had the unpleasant side effect of neutering the bolt lock on my rifles so they would no longer lock to the rear on empty. That meant I would often pull the trigger, get a click, and then go into a remedial action drill...which usually resulted in the bolt locking to the rear as I tried to cycle the charging handle. That prompted the reload. After a few times of going through this I figured that a piece of gear which essentially forced me into using the reload procedure for an MP5 wasn't worth having on my rifle. I took it off and it's now sitting in a drawer somewhere in the bag collecting dust.

- Given that it's a highly specialized piece of equipment not found on most rifles, that it's had a bad habit of making my reloads more complicated on my rifles, and that generally the old fashioned factory release seems to work pretty good...I just don't see a need for one. I don't know anyone "downrange" with a rifle strapped to their chest who is using one.

I too will admit I am NOT well versed in long guns.

However, I attended a 1911 course last year with Larry Vickers. The host for the class brought his carbine into the classroom to show LAV and it was equipped with a BAD lever. All I can say is LAV ripped into him (in a humorous way, not ill spirited at all) about how BAD = BAD.

Site Supporter
    I like mine. My gun (BCM Middy) has no mechanical issues, it will still lock the bolt back while shooting wolf, so I'm not worried about the BAD affecting the operation of the gun. As others have said, when used properly the finger shouldn't enter the trigger guard. However, I have seen one ND due to a shooter pressing inward on the BAD after a reload. This is obviously incorrectly using the device, it is designed to be pressed in a downward direction in order to send the bolt home, but the danger of an ND from someone who hasn't been properly instructed in its use is definitely there.

I started using one when I still had a redimag on my gun. The BAD made operating the bolt catch about a millon times easier when the redimag was in place. I've since ditched the redimag, but I kept the BAD, mostly because of how easy it makes "Unload and Show Clear" at multigun matches.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    - All of that being said, I don't use the BAD lever because while it made locking the bolt back during a malfunction much quicker, it didn't add any other tangible practical value to my ability to get results out of the carbine.
    This.

It violates my First General Law of Conservation of Stuff, which goes "It is almost always better to remove parts than to add them."

The slight ergonomic benefit seems offset by adding another thing that could break. Playing with one did not give me that whole "OMG! How did I ever run this gun without one?" feeling, the way, say, my first RDS did. Others have obviously come to a different conclusion.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I like mine, but rifles are more of a piece of sporting equipment to me than a defensive tool. The main benefit to me is the ability to lock the bolt back without switching my grip around.

I know of very few people who can use them without issues. You also need to consider why you would add it to a gun. Do we really need to increase our speed to clear a really bad malfunction or do we need to spend a little more time/money/effort into preventing that type of malfunction? Also consider the risks if you are for some reason shooting the gun leaning against cover. The lever can very easily be pushed in from the left side, not a risk I would want to take.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List