Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock 26 on the ankle

Glock 26 on the ankle

Does anyone ankle carry a G26? I want to use this set up for a back up gun, but I'm concerned about size and weight vs a G43. I've never ankle carried anything so I have no perspective on what's too ambitious for gun size here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I carried a glock 27 in an alessi ankle holster for a few years. I wish I never sold it. I plan on getting another alessi or Ritchie ankle holster this year

Site Supporter
    This is a go to solution for many of the agents and officers I work with, particularly in warmer weather. Putting aside the propriety of having a g26/27 as a primary v a BUG when ankle carried for a moment, the set up requires a quality ankle rig and pant cuffs that are wide enough to allow access to the ankle. Mnay of the more slim lined slacks, jeans, khakis etc that seem to be in vogue would be unsat presuming an ankle carried G26/27. Indeed, many of these slimmer pants make ankle carrying a j frame in a nylon DeSantis holster a real challege re real time access.

YMMV greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    Does anyone ankle carry a G26? I want to use this set up for a back up gun, but I'm concerned about size and weight vs a G43. I've never ankle carried anything so I have no perspective on what's too ambitious for gun size here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Funny you should ask - I just got through discussing this with someone on TPI. Here is what I posted:

Not so much a technique/use thing, but here's a super supreme comfort tip. At least it's super supreme for me.

An ankle gun, especially with the mass of a G26, tortures the hell out of my medial malleolus (inside ankle ball.) Wearing hiker-height or higher shoes keeps the ankle gun from hurting me like that. But I don't usually want to wear those kind of shoes.

With low top shoes like I like, I get the same protective effect from two insoles under the holster, one inside and one outside. I trim them down so they are missing the ball/toe part of the insole and don't have extra material to flop around at the top of the holster. The heel cups go over the outside and inside ankle balls and pretty directly protect them from the gun. I also wear the gun at about 4 o'clock on my ankle, which further helps comfort and also printing issues a little bit. The outside insole isn't really protecting my outside ankle ball from anything because that's not where the gun is, but it helps keep the gun from shifting around on my ankle as much, and together the insoles keep the gun from sliding down as much as it otherwise would.

These insoles you see pictured are still functional, but are falling apart a bit and are probably due for replacement soon.

[img]20160808_091905 by OrigamiAK, on Flickr[/img]

[img]20160808_092001 by OrigamiAK, on Flickr[/img]

[img]20160808_092004 by OrigamiAK, on Flickr[/img]

[img]20160808_091624 by OrigamiAK, on Flickr[/img]

---

Someone asked me if the gun/insoles shift around much.

---

They do, but not a lot.

They are fine in my normal person life. I can run without any real discomfort, at least for a bit. I bet it would be pretty uncomfortable if you told me to run a mile wearing it though. I've gone on minor hiking wearing it, no problem. I am wearing my ankle rig any time I do any of the things you see me doing on video for practice on the indoor range. So a lot of repeated short runs, moving around, stopping, etc. (I don't wear it in USPSA though because not legal.) Anyway, after running around the range for a little bit, it probably will have shifted and gotten a little more uncomfortable and I might adjust it.

I think of it like the various things in my pockets that really aren't secure against shifting in a big crazy fight or something, but in my normal non-going-in-harms-way life are just fine. And it's not going to stop me from running around like mad when motivated by a real emergency.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I don't understand why my last picture (of the holstered gun on my ankle) isn't displaying. Try clicking one of these links I guess.

[img]20160808_091624 by OrigamiAK, on Flickr[/img]

https://flic.kr/p/KNdW4Q

Lord of the Food Court

I carried a Glock 26 on my ankle in a Galco rig on and off duty for about 10 years. Works fine.

Started with a G27 and switched a few years back to a G26. Use and LOVE the Alessi holster. Tried a few others and found them to be horrible. Carry it as a BUG every day since 2006, on and off duty. I do use a counterweight of sorts to keep my back from hating me more than it already does. I keep a 17rd mag, TQ, and z-fold hemostat gauze on my other ankle.

I used to carry a J-frame, then a 26, now a 43 in my boot when I need to look tucked-in. The 43 is much more comfortble.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Timely. I'm considering ditching my LCR for a Shield, 43, or 26.

Cool info, Mr. White. I don't know why, but I've never considered putting the sock OVER the holster. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Timely. I'm considering ditching my LCR for a Shield, 43, or 26.

Cool info, Mr. White. I don't know why, but I've never considered putting the sock OVER the holster. Interesting.
    I read about the sock in a Mas Ayoob column long ago. IIRC he attributed it to Chic Gaylord. Doesn't do anything for the bulge, but not seeing a holster that contrasts with the sock helps concealment a bit.

If you wear low tops, the insoles might be a real magic trick for you (I hope.) They are for me. If you wear mid or high tops or boots the insoles are probably moot. Good luck dude, I hope it helps!
    Lord of the Food Court

User Tag List