Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Weapon retention and printing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    There's "printing" and then there's "snugging the bottom of your smedium tee down over your gat for 'concealment' even though it's so snug we can read the serial number in relief through the fabric."

...Until I can get better training with a blade, my current plan is to fish my E2D out of my pocket and flail away like a 'tard until something better comes to mind.
    I can't recall laughing out loud as hard at a PF comment as I have just now.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sharp View Post
    The problem is cops think they can train for four hours once every three months to prepare for life or death event.

I can't think of another endeavor where people think four hours every three months is enough preparation time, particularly if the penalty for losing is you or someone else might die.

Hell, my daughters marching band has been training longer than that every day this summer just to prepare for band competition. The only things at stake there are scholarships and trophies. Try telling cops they need to train that much.

That's a hell of an observation, Paul.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 08-11-2016 at 03:33 PM.

Here is an example of a Kimura takedown; https://youtu.be/vQGpinPPISw

And here is an example of an Uchi Mata, particularly at the 2:04 mark. The underlying principle of keeping the elbow up, tilting the opponent is what applies to weapon retention; https://youtu.be/HZJcx2ppyB4
    That was really interesting, thank you.

The detailed and technical judo video was very helpful in understanding both the technique and the body dynamics involved (the last bit about stiff arms was fascinating).

The old guy with a cane in the first video is not someone I would want to mess with, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post

That's a hell of an observation, Paul.
    Thank you sir, it's a painful truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    That was really interesting, thank you.

The detailed and technical judo video was very helpful in understanding both the technique and the body dynamics involved (the last bit about stiff arms was fascinating).

The old guy with a cane in the first video is not someone I would want to mess with, ever.
    For sure, I love any grappling art but Judo and JiuJitsu are my recent favorites. The nuances involved in making things work cleanly against a resisting opponent are fascinating. It's a life time study, like all this stuff we do. Billy Robinson was a tough old school catch-as-catch-can wrestler. The last of a breed.
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

For sure, I love any grappling art but Judo and JiuJitsu are my recent favorites.
    Judo was my first art, though that was decades ago but it's basic principles influence how I move to this day.

Those old school guys have in them, through life experience, stuff that newer instructors wouldn't even think of.
    Last edited by Wondering Beard; 08-11-2016 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Judo was my first art, though that was decades ago but it's basic principles influence how I move to this day.

Those old school guys have in them, through life experience, stuff that newer instructors wouldn't even think of.
    Very true. My Judo instructor is a Kodokan 8th Dan, he's 80 years old and still wrecks guys. It's brutally beautiful to watch... Not so much when it's me, but watching it happen to someone else is great.
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

Here is an example of a Kimura takedown; https://youtu.be/vQGpinPPISw
    OMG, The raspy voiced old guy who demonstrated that was was old time Catch wrestler and professional wrestler Billy Robinson, who is no longer with us. He learned his art in the UK at some old time catch wresting school. I believe it was known as the snakepit.

Ooops, after reading the rest of the thread I see that the older Gentleman's identity has already been mentioned.
    Last edited by Ed L; 08-11-2016 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    A lot of lessons to be learned in this one, thought I would share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzw-HKuuQbg

Lessons for me
    -supports why I like appendix, keeps the gun "in my vision", keeps me aware if I am printing or not, and I can physically see if someone is trying to grab it before they're on it (I am sure someone can come up with scenario where I am wrong).
    -Printing is bad Mkay.
    -Not a huge fan of strong side IWB for this exact reason, dude was easily able to spot and come up on the guy without the dude ever knowing what was about to go down. Even though this guys situation awareness could of been a lot better, we all happen to get distracted from time to time.
    -Learn to fight and have back up weapon systems because if this happens your in a fight for you fucking life.
    -Classes like ECQC are a must honestly. This video kind of put a fire under my ass to get on it and put the money/time away to go.

Feel free to tell me why I am wrong, get butt hurt because I think appendix is better, and please leave the lessons you learned from this/tips for us all!
    1. Appendix has its advantages, but this may well have happened, in much the same way, with the same result, if AIWB had been used.

2. Printing is bad, even if one's name is not M. Kay. (OK, who is M. Kay, anyway?)

3. I favor strong side, but that means 0300, same as where I have to wear my duty pistol. Consistency is a good thing. Appendix is for my secondary/tertiary weapons/equipment. (Primary may migrate to appendix after I retire.)

3a. Situational awareness could have been better? Lord have mercy, this guy took several long steps into the Valley of the Shadow of Death. This was beyond distraction; he set himself up for failure in a most deliberate, if unintended, way. Being inside a stop-and-rob was just one small step. He then got deep into a corner, and faced into that corner. This is not being merely distracted. I suspect something pre-natal, that may not be fix-able. Some people are born to be prey.

4. True.

5. True. Been there; done that, twice; should do again. (Wow, has it really been ten years since I last attended ECQC?! I hope a senior citizens' edition has been developed.)

User Tag List