Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Weapon retention and printing.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Yes, agreed. I do think that his carry position made it easier for him to lose his gun and get made in the first place.
    Given that, it kind of argues for a 3:00/9:00 carry, if AIWB is not ones thing?

Yes, agreed. I do think that his carry position made it easier for him to lose his gun and get made in the first place.
    I don't argue that. But the real killers were his lack of proper dress, monitoring that dress and a lack of situational awareness. When off duty I typically carry at the 3:00-3:30 position, IWB for various reasons. I'm not a hater of AIWB carry so please don't feel the need to defend it. Subconsciously, I usually avoid having my strong hand occupied and typically stand with me thumb hooked into my right hand pocket, with my forearm pressing against my weapon. Thusly, I constantly monitor the presence of my weapon. I didn't even realize I had that habit until an observant non-LE friend pointed it out to me. I also avoid standing straight on toward the counter in stores like that. The only reason his carry position made the grab easier was because he wasn't executing it properly and was living with his head in the clouds.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 08-09-2016 at 05:42 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    Where else am I supposed to buy smokes, the friggin grocery store? LIKE A CHUMP? Please.
    Well, there's a solution for that, too. Statistically the cigarettes are more likely to kill you than some assmonkey at the stop & rob anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I don't argue that. But the real killers were his lack of proper dress, monitoring that dress and a lack of situational awareness. When off duty I typically carry at the 3:00-3:30 position, IWB for various reasons. I'm not a hater of AIWB carry so please don't feel the need to defend it. Subconsciously, I usually avoid having my strong hand occupied and typically stand with me thumb hooked into my right hand pocket, with my forearm pressing against my weapon. Thusly, I constantly monitor the presence of my weapon. I didn't even realize I had that habit until an observant non-LE friend pointed it out to me. I also avoid standing straight on toward the counter in stores like that. The only reason his carry position made the grab easier was because he wasn't executing it properly and was living with his head in the clouds.
    No need to explain it to me, I know most of the people who will post in this thread understand the trade offs in the carry positions. I have been suprised how many people don't know how to dress around the gun. They will get a good gun, holster, but still wear baby gap shirts to show off their 20-30 year dad bods. Beats me..

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Given that, it kind of argues for a 3:00/9:00 carry, if AIWB is not ones thing?
    3/3:30 with a forward cant makes it pretty tough to get snatched from behind by someone fishing under a cover garment, assuming a proper holster. I had a victim who was targeted for an OC gun grab who's snug kydex with forward cant defeated the grab as the gun bound up in the holster when jerked backward. Now, they weren't as dedicated to stay in the fight as the bad guy in that video, but it was enough in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    3/3:30 with a forward cant makes it pretty tough to get snatched from behind by someone fishing under a cover garment, assuming a proper holster. I had a victim who was targeted for an OC gun grab who's snug kydex with forward cant defeated the grab as the gun bound up in the holster when jerked backward. Now, they weren't as dedicated to stay in the fight as the bad guy in that video, but it was enough in that case.
    Was hoping you would chime in. I was sure you would have some tips for guys or gals carry strong side!

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Was hoping you would chime in. I was sure you would have some tips for guys or gals carry strong side!
    I'm sure someone like SouthNarc or others would be better suited for retention conversations than me, I can just tell you what I've seen work and how I've been trained. I like strong side due to the ability to trap between your body and the ground and access a secondary weapon. AIWB you've got the benefit of having it in your sight, but you'd have to be face first to trap it as well. Perhaps emotionally, as opposed to logically, I'm also more scared of shoving the gun back in the holster and keeping it trapped when it's near my giblets. I fully get that's likely a "in my head" issue more than an actual safety issue given the quality of holsters most guys here seem to be using.

Anyone besides me notice the attacker appeared to pull something from his left front waist before he made his move to pin the guy against the counter? I thought he'd stabbed him.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    The guy in the video did not loose his gun and nearly his life because he was carrying behind the hip or eve cause his shirt snagged on his grip. He lost it cause he had his head up his ass and lost all situational awareness. If he fixes that he won't have an issue. If he doesn't, IMO no matter where he sticks the gun he will be a victim.

So how do we fix the fundamentals flaw of situational awareness in that kind of environment?
    I'm leery of the Magic Situational Awareness fix. If my Situational Awareness were perfect, I wouldn't carry a gun since I would sense a gunfight coming and leave and let it happen to you guys instead.

Situational Awareness doesn't necessarily grant the ability to read the mind of the dude you are aware of behind you in line. He may go from some guy in line standing there waiting for his No.1 Value Meal just like you and the people around you to being the new owner of your gun in an eyeblink...
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Situational awareness has to play a part. But it's not the entire answer, nor as Tam stated, it's not a magical fix to the problem. AWIB would help in this situation. But I haven't quite yet got where I'm good with my choice of off-duty gun and an AWIB holster that works for me.

I carry at about 3:30 with about a 15 degree cant in the holster. I also dress so as to minimize the printing. I also try to be aware of what's going around me. The crappier the environment, the more I pay attention.

But if involved in a weapon retention struggle, then it's time to fight like the third monkey in line to board Noah's ark.

User Tag List