Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Guy - where to start?

New Guy - where to start?

I've been shooting a couple years now I guess. Few months ago started shooting a semiformal local competition. Indoors, automated computer controlled/programmed "scenarios", B-27s. Usually have a handful of guys, couple LEOs and a few regular Joes. I started out shooting pretty good for a noob I thought, but I haven't really gotten better, mostly due to lack of practice I'm sure. I just got a reloading press, so the practicing is going to increase quite a bit. My main shortcoming is gunhandling - reloads, etc. I do OK long as I don't miss a reload or some such.

I need to work on is speed, double taps and gunhanlding really. The way it works is the targets will be set up at various distances, with the targets sideways to the shooter. The targets pivot to facing the shooter one by one or two by two, like BE targets, depending on the program. 2 shots per target. I like the setup, and I think it makes it easier to score - no timing...if you shoot well, and hit all the targets you score well. If you fumble, you score poorly. The scorer doesn't have to calc in time to the scores, it's built in. Downside is, I can't shoot slowly and work my way up to faster. I once shot a timed outdoor course...the LEO who got first place shot a 9mm (minor) quite fast, and I shot my .45 (major) quite slowly, being my first time, not wanting to make mistakes, I shot quite accurately, (I'm an accuracy nut) and I got second IIRC. Thing is, with the indoor, I can't play that game, the speed playing field is leveled, if you will, and no major/minor.

At any rate, I believe in shooting as fast as you can hit, and I do okay accuracy wise, but need to get faster. I can't really work my way up, as the target is only available for however long it's programmed for. I have to get that fast or miss points, and I can't fumble reloads, etc.

Suggestions for double-taps and reloads? Planning on loading up some dummies and painting them for dryfire handling drills, but where to start?

There is a mess of info out there...

Thanks!

Site Supporter
    As a fellow noob I would suggest starting at the beginning, with the basics. Pistol-training.com has a lot of great drills for helping a new shooter work the basics and then build upon them. I would start with the first Drill of the Week (DotW) and work through those. These drills will help with building accuracy, sight tracking, speed, reloads, multiple strings of fire and progressing from there. These drills should help you get started.

Once you start to become proficient with these techniques, tests like FAST, Dot Torture, 99 Drill and others will help determine what areas you need more work in. Hope this helps...

Site Supporter
    You would profit greatly from a 2-3 day class taught by a reputable instructor. If we knew where you generally lived (i.e. Central Missouri), we could reccomend instruction.

When I started shooting in 1991, I profited greatly from shooting with a bunch of guys that had trained with Jeff Cooper and his first generation of students/instuctors to include: Pat Rodgers, Clint Smith, Louis Awerbuck, Ken Hakathorn, Tom Givens, Randy Cain etc . During that timeframe, I also started shooting IPSC and IDPA (in as tactically sound a manner as possible). This "competition" certainly gave me the opportunity to learn to run /manipulate my pistol at speed so I could get to the point where those skill were on "autopilot", freeing my mind to solve the tactical problem.

Having said that, it was not until 2004 that I myself went to a formal multiday class. I would have been a better shooter sooner and a better shooter today if I had gone to a good class earlier in my shooting life.

IMHO, I would also note, like any other art form, martial or otherwise, pistolcraft is a living breathing thing that is constantly evolving. No bodily kinestetic movement, when attempted at its highest level, looks the same in 2011 as it did in 1981. The martial art of pistolcraft is no different.

YMMV greatly,
    David

This, I learned more in 2 days with Tom Givens doing combative pistol I than I did with many more hours and rounds sent down range. Prior to that I had done some "mini-classes" that an outfit around here does - it makes a huge difference. I've come to believe that until you get some good competent instruction from a good instructor, not just a good shooter, that you're wasting a lot of time and energy. Not to mention money, which certainly plays a factor, but the cost of a good 2 day training class ($400 plus ammo) will pay for itself many times over if you factor the time/cost of wasted practice.

Another strong recommendation for a 2-3 day class from a quality instructor. I was lucky enough to take Tom Givens' Combative Pistol I as my first course. I think his course has the right balance between teaching how to shoot/manipulate the gun, legal ramifications, and mind set that all play a key when carrying concealed.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    If you can give us a rough region of the country where you're at/able to get to, we might be able to come up with some intelligent suggestions for training opportunities.

Not the OP but...

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    If you can give us a rough region of the country where you're at/able to get to, we might be able to come up with some intelligent suggestions for training opportunities.
    I'm not the original poster, but am in the same boat. I guess i've had the traditional gun up bringing, and as such it's reflected in my skill set--i shoot well for accuracy on static targets with pistol from 0-25 yards, and do well of the bench with rifles out to 100 yards.

If someone could recommend a class that would increase my dynamic shooting skills, and broaden my horizon's outside of single shot accuracy, it would be appreciated.

I live in the greater philladelphia area. I guess i'll start dropping some change in the piggy bank for the class.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by iakdrago View Post
    I live in the greater philladelphia area.
    Our own Jay Cunningham (in Pittsburgh) teaches Vickers Shooting Method classes pretty regularly. I can recommend Jay without hesitation and in fact often try to convince DC-area shooters to trek up to Pitt for his classes. Between Jay's skill and the VSM syllabus, you cannot ask for a better start to your formal shooting instruction.

I'm blushing...

Thanks very much for the endorsement Todd. As to the original question, I do have a pretty good track record to date getting newer shooters up to speed. Please check my schedule and feel free to contact me with any questions that you might have.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I'm blushing...

Thanks very much for the endorsement Todd. As to the original question, I do have a pretty good track record to date getting newer shooters up to speed. Please check my schedule and feel free to contact me with any questions that you might have.
    Will def have to start to put money away... if only i did not just dump my savings into a house

User Tag List