Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: WaPo - The Post asked experts to examine 5 viral videos of police shootings.

FWIW, two months ago when I made the decision to look into the profession in earnest, one of the first things I did was read up on the Met and Sir Robert Peel, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I'm confused. I don't know whether my opinion is valid or not.
    Probably not. You need a beard or some obvious tattoos on which to anchor your credibility.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Probably not. You need a beard or some obvious tattoos on which to anchor your credibility.

I have both, but no real skill or experience. Maybe we can work something out.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    In order for me to have a beard, it would have to be a tattoo of a beard.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

I watched a news clip where he was interviewed about this. My take was he is an ex-officer with a private business in UOF expert testimony using the the media coverage in a controversial case to get free advertising for himself. With all that is going on lately it felt like he was kicking us while we are down. As far as tactics go I brought the low ready vs SUL as an example how tactics and training differ from jurisdiction to jurisdiction and he shouldn't have used it to support his conclusion on the Officer's UOF. I believe as LEO or in his case former LEO we shouldn't have anything to say publicly unless it's supportive.
    Last edited by Sammy1; 08-10-2016 at 12:36 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    In order for me to have a beard, it would have to be a tattoo of a beard.
    That could be a really fun tattoo!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    That could be a really fun tattoo!
    You joke about the whole hipster thing, but with that line, you just sealed the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy1 View Post
    I watched a news clip where he was interviewed about this. My take was he is an ex-officer with a private business in UOF expert testimony using the the media coverage in a controversial case to get free advertising for himself. With all that is going on lately it felt like he was kicking us while we are down. As far as tactics go I brought the low ready vs SUL as an example how tactics and training differ from jurisdiction to jurisdiction and he shouldn't have used it to support his conclusion on the Officer's UOF. I believe as LEO or in his case former LEO we shouldn't have anything to say publicly unless it's supportive.
    So wait, you guys are using SUL as a ready or a means to mange suspects? Yea, that is regional. I am beginning to like the idea of not knowing wtf I am talking about.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 08-10-2016 at 03:43 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by dove View Post
    You joke about the whole hipster thing, but with that line, you just sealed the deal.
    Look I didn't say who a beard tattoo would be fun for. Might not be the person wearing it. I felt comfortable joking with jlw because he is about as far from an idiot as you can get, so I wasn't worried he'd actually get the tattoo lol.

This whole conversation makes me wish tattoo artists would still put ink on drunk/passed out people. Then, we could 1 - get hipster w/beard real drunk, 2 - shave real beard, 3 - go to tattoo shop and get tattoo beard installed before hipster can object.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    So wait, you guys are using SUL as a ready or a means to mange suspects? Yea, that is regional. I am beginning to like the idea of not knowing wtf I am talking about.
    Darryl, I think low and contact/threat ready are excellent and have a whole lot of utility. As with some cases of butthurt, they have not faded with time. You are not alone!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy1 View Post
    Are you referring to Ron McCarthy? Dude, not trying to be an ass but seriously, do some research into our history as police officers. Bob Gallegos Sr is a friend, and has influenced a lot of how I think and what I do. Those guys came before us, and were/are willing to hand down a lot of hard earned knowledge. I have 18 years on, and I'm almost done but for guys with less than 5 years those old school dudes have a lot of knowledge that is going to be lost soon.

re; low ready. This is a slight derailment but we found low ready to be faster and more consistent than SUL when dealing with holding someone at gunpoint. SUL is great for moving around others, as is high ready/ready gun, but for holding someone at gunpoint in a decision making scenario, low ready kicked ass. That was using data gathered from a sample of slightly less than 300 shooters, but I thought it was enough data to revisit something I had walked away from. As with anything, put it on a timer, in various scenarios, and see what yields the best performance. At the end of the day, only performance counts.
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

User Tag List