Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How do you carry you handgun while running or working out?

I use a Maxpedition Pili fanny pack to carry a G43 and a 26 before that while running. I don't run fast or far, 3 miles at a 10 minute pace is on the fast side of things, so the little bit of bounce from the fanny pack isn't an issue for me. The rabbits out there may need a little more stability. The gym is in the garage so I don't carry there, I keep some hardware handy but not on my person.

I've had a lot of aggressive dog problems while running and biking and always bring along a can of OC.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I have the normal Kit Bag, with the stabilizer strap, did not like it at all for running. May have to do with my excessively heavy gun (P30LS with WML/laser and 20 round magazine) and my build (5'8", ~140 lbs.). Too much bouncing, got annoying real fast, and had some chaffing issues; when I tried it, I was running 6 to 10 miles ~10:00 pacing. IIRC, SLG did not like it very much either. On the other hand, my friend uses a Recon Bag for his runs, and quite likes it; he uses it with a plain G19 with a Vanguard. However, he's not much of a runner, and does only one or two miles at a time to keep up his cardio. My guess is that it's a viable option for some, and not for others, just like regular holsters.
    After we all talked about the kit bag, I was hesitant but ive been using the one SLG graciously gave me to try and after some adjustments, I like it. (@ SLG: get your butt to Pawnee in January so i can settle up with you, i hate oweing people $$ [emoji6]).

I didn't like it much with the VP9 but with my PPS, it doesn't bounce much.
    Its definately a mild weather deal, generates way too much heat when it's hot out. Last week I ran 20 miles in the CO mountains and it worked perfect there.

I'll add that I bought a HPG Tarahumara pack to use for trail running and love it!

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

What are people using for the gym? Running is one thing since you are upright, but I've been trying to think of a solution that will work through bench presses, leg curls, ab exercises, and all of the different positions you end up in while lifting. Or does everyone typically go cold while lifting?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jck397 View Post
    What are people using for the gym? Running is one thing since you are upright, but I've been trying to think of a solution that will work through bench presses, leg curls, ab exercises, and all of the different positions you end up in while lifting. Or does everyone typically go cold while lifting?
    A fanny pack works just fine. For some exercises, I have to shift it over to my side.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Keep an eye out for the older Eagle Industires fanny packs, mine is the small grey model made for J-frames that I found on FleaBay. They show up occasionally on LF & sometimes on M4C, perhaps on BARFCOM as well if you can tolerate it.

I carry a G26 w/ a spare 15rd. mag., a small HH light & creds. in it + I also hand carry it betwern machines, not to mention inside Sams, banks etc. A Spyderco & OC that are ALWAYS w/ me on runs are clipped IWB to my running/workout shorts.
    Last edited by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor; 08-14-2016 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Protip: Get a smaller gun for running such as a Shield or G43. Lighter guns = less bounce = less chafe.
    That's solid advice.

I use a HPG Snubby Kit Bag (the downsized two-pocket Runner's Kit Bag and not the Original Pattern Snubby with the extra pocket).

So what will it hold?

COA 1: G43 in the back. Extra mag (maybe 2), iPhone 6 in a Magpul case, a set of keys and my handgun carry permit in the front. Maybe you could add a pack of Chiclets or a roll of Life Savers...

COA 2: G19 in the back. Extra mag, the HCP card, and keys in the front. No room for an iPhone, Chiclets, and Life Savers.

And that's about all you can shove in there.

Having said that, it works as advertised. No bounce, no muss, no fuss - it's a sustain. The bungee strap really helps with the bounce.
    Last edited by Spurholder; 08-30-2016 at 12:21 PM.

Usually the S&W MP Shield with spare mag in a Pistol Wear PT-1 under my gym shorts with t-shirt over or the DarkStar Gear metal clip IWB rig. Pistol Wear http://www.pistolwear.com/pt-one-concealment-holster/ , works pretty good, run the 7rnd flat mag base plate so I don't get jabbed too much in doing ab exercises. Seems to keep most moisture away from the gun. I use a frog lube wipe or Tuff Cloth once a week on the slide, trying to decide which works better.

Site Supporter
    I have comfortably run with guns as heavy as a Glock 19. Get a good fanny pack (Tommy's Gun Pack) with a wide strap, adjust the strap so that it fits snugly around your waist without much if any extra room, and keep it centered in front.

I ended up going with a Hill People Gear Recon chest harness. It has some pros and cons, but over all it has treated me good so far. Two weeks into it, is not a lot of time with it. But, I am pleased.

User Tag List