Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad ideas you just cant let go of....(gun related)

Bad ideas you just cant let go of....(gun related)

When I was a kid, just getting old enough to be shooting regularly with my dad without him having to help hold the gun up, I had a Colt catalog. In that catalog, which I stared at until I nearly looked the letters off of it, was the Delta Elite. I so wanted that pistol, for all the reasons often cited by 10mm fanboys, and Delta Elite fanboys, and whatever else. It was my grail. Before I was old enough to buy one, supply had dried up around my parts (this was also before Gunbroker really became a thing).

In time, thanks largely to sites like this one and folks like DocGKR, I realized that I really didn't need a 10mm. Besides, even though Colt was making Delta's again, they lacked most of the modern 1911 features, and I hate GI grip safeties in particular. Then I heard they were making a newer, better version. Still though, no gun shop around here would have one, it'd never sell.

And then yesterday, while out running with a good friend, I saw it. One of the new Deltas, right there were those red triangles staring back at me. It was everything I thought a Delta should be, sitting there, with a beavertail grip safety, Novak sights, grip panels instead of the wrap around mess Colt had been using. Just perfect. Lord I have no use for a 10mm. None. Not even as a field pistol. The most vicious wild animal around here is a coyote, or a feral dog. And so I'm proud to say I never even picked it up, never haggled on price, nothing. I held firm.....

But while I was staring at that Colt all googley eyed, my riding partner for the day scored a Ruger GP100 unlike any I've ever seen. Blued, fixed sights, short lug, factory compact grips. Even had a usable DA trigger pull. To me, it is an awesome GP100, and if I hadn't been staring at that Colt like a little kid, it'd probably have been mine....
    Last edited by Jared; 08-07-2016 at 08:53 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I'm glad Sig doesn't make the P220 10mm with a 6 inch barrel and slide to match. I really don't want to add 10mm to the ammo supply.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Yup, that's the one I was staring at.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I'm glad Sig doesn't make the P220 10mm with a 6 inch barrel and slide to match. I really don't want to add 10mm to the ammo supply.
    They had a SIG 220 in 10 too. And three flavors of Glock. I've never seen a local shop so well stocked with 10mm guns in this area. Fortunately, 10mm isn't really a weakness for me, just the Colt Delta Elite.

Underfolding AKs.

HK91s

S&W 610s

Carbon slide SIGs

Anything in .357SIG
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Opening a new gun shop that sells quality firearms in HICKTARD CENTRAL!

Now everything I sold I sold at less than a 5% mark up.

So a Glock that wholesales at 475, I sold at 500. Yet I still averaged less than 2 guns a month. Yes we did the Internet, online social media etc.

When a customer asks, and I am not kidding, "What does H&K mean, I never heard of them? Are they like H&R? I really just want to look at yur six shooters, Immmm a cowboy!"
    Most of the local farmers don't own horses, but still believe their farming counts as being a cowboy. I moved here from Texas. Why? I don't know!

We are closing our door after three years.

I now live in the land of Flatbeads and dumbasses.
    My zip code is EI EI O
    Last edited by Arbninftry; 08-07-2016 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbninftry View Post
    Opening a new gun shop that sells quality firearms in HICKTARD CENTRAL!

Now everything I sold I sold at less a 5% mark up.

So a Glock that wholesales at 475, I sold at 500. Yet I still averaged less than 2 guns a month. Yes we I'd Internet, online social media etc.

When a customer asks, and I am not kidding, "What does H&K mean, I never heard of them? Are they like H&R? I really just want to look at yur six shooters, Immmm a cowboy!"
    Most of the local farmers don't own horses, but still believe their farming counts as being a cowboy.

I now live in the land of Flatbeads and dumbasses.
    My zip code is EI EI O
    Solid hate. 7/10. Would read again.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Friggin' FAL's. No one makes a quality version anymore, parts are scarce, parts kits ain't cheap, etc. But sex appeal? Through the roof. I have successfully managed to talk myself out of one for years now, but the struggle is real.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt O View Post
    Friggin' FAL's. No one makes a quality version anymore, parts are scarce, parts kits ain't cheap, etc. But sex appeal? Through the roof. I have successfully managed to talk myself out of one for years now, but the struggle is real.
    Oh man... I still want a FAL like the one Ian Yule used in The Wild Geese.

Read about it here: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...fal-is-solved/
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

User Tag List