Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NYPD arming cops with helmets and body armor against active shooters

NYPD arming cops with helmets and body armor against active shooters

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/n...oters-41162880

Snippet:

Police union officials in New York, Los Angeles and elsewhere have been complaining for months that they need more training and equipment for their redefined role. Even with the NYPD announcement about the new helmets and vests, Patrick Lynch, president of the powerful Patrolmen's Benevolent Association, is still complaining.

The helmets and vests are fine, Lynch said, but without long guns at the ready "the officers and the public they are sworn to protect will remain in great danger."

That position is open to debate. In a letter to the Daily News, a retired coordinator of the department's Tactical Training Unit, Daniel Modell, wrote that long guns would make sense in departments where officers patrol alone in cars in areas where the response time of SWAT units can be lengthy. But officers in New York, he said, usually work in pairs and can get armored support promptly.

Besides, NYPD patrol officers "have what these killers invariably lack: heart," Modell wrote. "That and a 9 mm more than suffices."
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    They may have Heart but they get pretty minimal training with their handguns.

NYPD has specialized units which get more and better training but the average cop shoots twice a year. My info may be dated but 100 to 150 rounds per range day, so 300 per year. It may not be much to the PF crowd, but with 40,000 cops that's 12,000,000 rounds a year. They qualify 1,000 cops a WEEK.

How many range days, man hours and rounds would an NYPD patrol rifle program require ? Both initial training and sustainment / quals ?

Would they use pool guns? I think they would have to. I don't see them buying 40k Colt 6920's. NYPD Officers buy their handguns, usually from the Dept. but I doubt they would allow personal purchase AR's.

Traditionally, only ESU (SWAT), single man units like highway patrol and certain detective units got long guns, usually shotguns. They now have the "Hercules Teams" with Colt 6920's. I'm curious if those rifles are assigned or if they are pool rifles.

Next thing to be illegal in NY:

"Heart".
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    They may have Heart but they get pretty minimal training with their handguns.

NYPD has specialized units which get more and better training but the average cop shoots twice a year. My info may be dated but 100 to 150 rounds per range day, so 300 per year. It may not be much to the PF crowd, but with 40,000 cops that's 12,000,000 rounds a year. They qualify 1,000 cops a WEEK.

How many range days, man hours and rounds would an NYPD patrol rifle program require ? Both initial training and sustainment / quals ?

Would they use pool guns? I think they would have to. I don't see them buying 40k Colt 6920's. NYPD Officers buy their handguns, usually from the Dept. but I doubt they would allow personal purchase AR's.

Traditionally, only ESU (SWAT), single man units like highway patrol and certain detective units got long guns, usually shotguns. They now have the "Hercules Teams" with Colt 6920's. I'm curious if those rifles are assigned or if they are pool rifles.
    I'm under the impression that Hercules is a rotating duty for ESU.....so not pool guns.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I'm under the impression that Hercules is a rotating duty for ESU.....so not pool guns.
    Good. Pool guns suck.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Next thing to be illegal in NY:

"Heart".
    Coffee is spat...

Too little too late.

Like putting a bandaid over a sucking chest wound.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Besides, NYPD patrol officers "have what these killers invariably lack: heart,"
    Oh my god! Thats as stupid as to belive, that "flowers an candles will protect us"...
    If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

Besides, NYPD patrol officers "have what these killers invariably lack: heart," Modell wrote. "That and a 9 mm more than suffices."
    Heart needs reach, and that comes from long guns.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Besides, NYPD patrol officers "have what these killers invariably lack: heart," Modell wrote.
    Not that something like a psychopath from out of state would announce his intentions on the internet, travel to New York, execute two officers in a squad car, and then commit suicide. Highly theoretical, probably never happen. How does "heart" stack up against "suicidal determination"?

User Tag List