Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Rio 2016

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Oh, and it's fun trying to figure out where they sewed the antigravity belt in Simone Biles' leotard.
    Last edited by Tamara; 08-05-2016 at 09:36 PM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post
    No. I hate the Olympic Games and everything they stand for.
    Wha?

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Some people aren't into that whole "citius, altius, fortius" thing.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Kim Rhode
    http://www.teamusa.org/usa-shooting/...Kimberly-Rhode

That's a long time to be at the top of your game.
    Interesting write up on the Olympic Shooting Snub | Shall Not Be Questioned.
    Why is pothead and all around screw up Michael Phelps the Color Bearer instead of Kim Rhode?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Once upon a time, I was an Olympic hopeful in fencing. In spite of that, I have little use for the Olympics or sports in general. They're the modern parallel of Rome's bread and circuses. The Olympic Games themselves are so full of politics and corruption that any allusion to the citizen athlete is laughable.
    Same here. For me it was 3 position smallbore rifle. Made it as far as resident athlete at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs when I was trying to get to the 1988 olympics. I also have no interest of in the games anymore. The scandals and corruption are so bad now that I can't bring myself to watch anymore. Getting as far as I did was a great experience and I have a lot of good memories from it, but it all feels tainted by the corruption.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Same here. For me it was 3 position smallbore rifle. Made it as far as resident athlete at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs when I was trying to get to the 1988 olympics. I also have no interest of in the games anymore. The scandals and corruption are so bad now that I can't bring myself to watch anymore. Getting as far as I did was a great experience and I have a lot of good memories from it, but it all feels tainted by the corruption.
    A trivia question guaranteed to stump progressives: What is the one modern Olympics to actually turn a profit?
    Salt Lake City, UT. Run by.. Mitt Romney. Only Olympics to not be beset with scandal, corruption, or to leave the host city deep in debt.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Why is pothead and all around screw up Michael Phelps the Color Bearer instead of Kim Rhode?
    He has 18 gold medals, and is the most decorated Olympian of all time. I've never thought the different swim events warranted their own medals. I know the different strokes all require an extremely finally honed technique, but I don't see why it's more complicated than say, judo or wrestling.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Oh, and it's fun trying to figure out where they sewed the antigravity belt in Simone Biles' leotard.
    Women's gymnastics is impressive. You have these miniature humans throwing themselves around like plywood in a tornado and I'm thinking, "I can do some push-ups."
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Growing up we'd always watch the men/women gymnastics. That's about it.

I watched the track events a few times when in middle/high school but that's because I ran track and wanted to see how the best in the world did it. Picked up some pointers. (This was before youtube)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I know the different strokes all require an extremely finally honed technique, but I don't see why it's more complicated than say, judo or wrestling.
    Imagine not being able to win a track & field medal unless you could run both the marathon and the 100 hurdles in world class time.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Imagine not being able to win a track & field medal unless you could run both the marathon and the 100 hurdles in world class time.
    Pentathlon/decatholon.

User Tag List