Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest effective 30-30 plinking ammo?

Cheapest effective 30-30 plinking ammo?

Looking to get into a 30-30 lever action but finding that ammo is somewhat more expensive than other rifle calibers. Cheapest I can find is prvi for 0.60 a round. Is that about the going rate or does any one have any recommendations for a vendor with more affordable ammo? Thanks!

Site Supporter
    I don't usually plink with my .30-30, but when I do, it's with stuff I load.

Site Supporter
    Yeah $.60 per round sounds about right for .30-30 ammo of that type. It's a hunting cartridge -- what exactly are you comparing it against?

Anything that is outside the common military calibers used today will be in that price range. If you reload, then you'd probably pay around $.20 per shot for your reloaded ammo.

Cheapest effective 30-30 plinking ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Yeah $.60 per round sounds about right for .30-30 ammo of that type. It's a hunting cartridge -- what exactly are you comparing it against?
    Of course comparing it to other common rifle calibers like 556 and 308. Just wondering if it's out there at a lower price than 0.60 given that it's older, yet common, caliber. Was hoping for 0.40-0.50 but looks like that's not the norm. Thanks for the info everyone!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by chiral; 08-05-2016 at 10:31 PM.

Cheapest I can find is prvi for 0.60 a round.
    That's a very good price for around here. I've shot a fair amount of the 170 grain, it shoots very well in the two 336s I tried it in.

If you roll your own you can get lead hard cast bullets like the Missouri Bullet Company 165 grain round nose flat point @ $29 per 250 plus shipping.

For practice shooting and general purpose stuff, that is going to be pretty tough to beat.

Plus depending on how you choose to load, you can run them at traditional speeds for and use them for things that a person normally would use a 30-30 for, or you can download them and make great small game loads.

In fact I have a box under my bench that have been sitting there for some time waiting to be loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    If you roll your own you can get lead hard cast bullets like the Missouri Bullet Company 165 grain round nose flat point @ $29 per 250 plus shipping.

For practice shooting and general purpose stuff, that is going to be pretty tough to beat.

Plus depending on how you choose to load, you can run them at traditional speeds for and use them for things that a person normally would use a 30-30 for, or you can download them and make great small game loads.

In fact I have a box under my bench that have been sitting there for some time waiting to be loaded.
    Sorry for the derail but what powder do you use for this load?

I really need to get my 30-30's out and have some fun with them.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Unique or Trail Boss for the very lightweight loads. It has been a while since I have fiddled with them, but they are pretty fun short range grouse/rabbit kind of loads.

Quote Originally Posted by chiral View Post
    Of course comparing it to other common rifle calibers like 556 and 308. Just wondering if it's out there at a lower price than 0.60 given that it's older, yet common, caliber. Was hoping for 0.40-0.50 but looks like that's not the norm. Thanks for the info everyone!
    There are a couple of reasons that you don't see 30-30 ammo marked down very often. First, it's already pretty cheap compared to 30/06, 270, and the like. Second, most people who shoot the 30-30 a lot handload for it rather than buying it in bulk, and most people who buy one box of ammo a year are willing to spend $15/box, so there's no reason to discount it. That said, keep an eye on the big box stores. They usually get a bunch right before hunting season, and they sometimes discount the stuff they didn't sell once the season ends. In Washington, that's around Thanksgiving, but it's probably different where you live.

There's a very strong case to be made for handloading for the 30-30. The 30-30 is dead simple to reload, and most factory ammo is underloaded by 150-200 fps because the ammo makers don't want to blow up an old rifle, so you can make significant improvements in power without super hot loads. You can generally improve accuracy, too. it makes a lot of sense to find out what kind of ammo your rifle prefers, shoot up 2-300 rounds of it over a year or so and save the brass, then start rolling your own.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List