Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to handguns, do I need to shoot left handed?

One technique to deal with cross-dominance is to tilt the pistol slightly, at about ta 45 degree angle. This works better with the Chapman than the Weaver position, and may not be necessary at all with the Modern Isosceles position.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I'm also cross-dominant (right handed, left eye dominant). I shoot right handed while putting the gun in front of my left eye. It doesn't take too much adjustment so long as you're shooting isoceles.

I have a friend who is relatively new to shooting. He is right handed but left eye dominant, which I didn't know until we went shooting together for the first time. I should him how to shoot right handed because I forgot to check for the dominant eye. It was a real struggle for him. His stance was awkward and he couldn't get his head down on the stock properly. He did better with handguns.

Once I realized what was going on, I had him switch to shooting left handed. He did much better and that's when he started really enjoying himself. My father was left handed but right eye dominant and he shot every thing right handed and he was one hell of a shot!

Learning to shoot when cross dominant isn't always easy, but in general, it's best to learn to shoot on the side of your dominant eye. It's not always the easiest route. In the end though, you'll need to set aside your emotions and decide what will make you a better shooter in the long run

Cross dominant here. I just bring the pistol to my left eye, when I shoot rifle I just shoot it right handed with my non dominant eye. Against a lot of peoples wisdom but it seems to work and I survived two deployments doing it.

Most people who make it into a big deal are the people who are not cross eye dominant..
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 08-05-2016 at 07:06 PM.

Alright so the consensus is that I should shoot with my dominate, right, hand. And use which ever eye I feel I'm best with. And that it would also, eventually, be a good idea to learn to shoot left handed anyway in case my right hand is out of commission and I still need to shoot. So for learning the basics and picking my first handgun I'll stick to my right hand for now, and just fuck around with my eyes. I want to learn to shoot with both eyes open anyways.

Thanks for the help and suggestions!

When it comes to handguns cross-dominance is a complete non-issue. The rear sight is so far in front of your eyes you just line the gun up in front of the dominant eye no matter which hand you use.

Most people make a big deal of out this, but it's not an issue at all. With handguns just put the gun up in front of your dominant eye and go. Assuming you're using an Isoceles or modified Isoceles stance, it can be a bit troublesome with an aggressive Weaver stance.

The "drama" over cross dominance is generally from instructors who are NOT cross dominant, and making a mountain out of mole hill dealing with students who are cross dominant.

You never hear a person talk about dealing with issues of eye dominance when a right eye/right hand shooter practices shooting with their weak hand. Why? Because it's not a big deal, they just shift their hands and head slightly and line the gun up in front of their right eye. People talk about lots of issues when practicing weak hand, such as grip, trigger control, etc, but you never hear talk of eye dominance when teaching/training weak hand shooting.

With pistols just line the gun up in front of your dominant eye, regardless of which hand you are gripping the gun, and regardless of which eye is dominant.
    Last edited by DMF13; 08-06-2016 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GrainularDischarge View Post
    . . . dominate . . .
    BTW, the word you should be using is dominant. Dominate = verb, dominant = adjective.

Assuming you're using an Isoceles or modified Isoceles stance, it can be a bit troublesome with an aggressive Weaver stance.
    I've never even heard of these words being used when talking about gun handling. But based on pictures I use a modified isosceles stance. Gripping the gun with a twisted wrist so my thumb kinda rides around the slide area but my body is turned a bit so my feet aren't pointed straight at the target.

BTW, the word you should be using is dominant. Dominate = verb, dominant = adjective.
    Gun and grammar class, alrighty then.

Another left eye dominant, right hand pistol shooter here. I hold the pistol right handed and aim with my left eye by moving the gun an inch or two. I shoot rifle and shotguns left handed. I started switching back and forth at a young enough that I can comfortably shoot right or left handed, then only real difference is if I can shoot with both eyes open or if I have to close my left eye shooting a long gun right handed.

Since my right arm will be out of commission for awhile, I should be really good at left hand shooting with a pistol in a couple of months!

Quote Originally Posted by GrainularDischarge View Post
    I've never even heard of these words being used when talking about gun handling. But based on pictures I use a modified isosceles stance. Gripping the gun with a twisted wrist so my thumb kinda rides around the slide area but my body is turned a bit so my feet aren't pointed straight at the target.

Gun . . . class, alrighty then.
    I'd definitely seek out some quality instruction. Quality being the key. You don't want to learn bad habits. There are lots of people out there offering instruction, but much of it ranges from horrible to mediocre. Spend the time to find good instruction, and then the time and money to actually take it.

I was very fortunate the we had better than average instruction at the LE academies I attended, but unfortunately I had to overcome many years of bad habits from the nonsense taught by friends (who thought they were better at shooting/teaching than the really were), and USAF CATM instructors who were still demanding a Weaver stance, and teaching a "cup and saucer" grip well into 21st century, which is decades after everyone realized the flaws in those techniques. Hell, when the USAF finally started teaching/allowing Isoceles/Modified Isoceles (but still stating Weaver was preffered), what they were teaching looked nothing like the stance used by top LE/mil/competition shooters.

User Tag List