Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to handguns, do I need to shoot left handed?

Quote Originally Posted by GrainularDischarge View Post

February of next year? Hmm, maybe I'll keep an eye on that. Not exactly next door but it isn't too far that a good class wouldn't be worth it.
    Yeah, 4-5th Feb '17. I'll be signing up as soon as it's public on Eventbrite, Mr. Givens' sign-up system. It will be my first 'real' training.

Btw, welcome to p-f.com. You are in the right place. People here won't tell you what you want to hear, they will tell you what you need to hear.

Dave Sevigny does this as well, among other shooters who have posted here countless times over.

Truth be told I don't recall anyone who is cross dominant wishing they've done otherwise, it's only been those who are same side dominant thinking cross dominant shooters are wrong.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Yeah, 4-5th Feb '17. I'll be signing up as soon as it's public on Eventbrite, Mr. Givens' sign-up system. It will be my first 'real' training.
    I'll keep an eye out, hopefully nothing comes up during that time. Thanks for the heads up.

Btw, welcome to p-f.com. You are in the right place. People here won't tell you what you want to hear, they will tell you what you need to hear.
    Thank you, it seems like a really great place so far. And though I agree with you, and wouldn't want it any other way, you guys did technically tell me want I wanted to hear. Having to shoot left handed would have really ticked me off.

I'm pretty sure it was advocated to shoot with the hand of your dominant eye by a major figure, or their descendant school, in the past. I'm certain I remember an interview where Hackathorne talked about this.

Anyway, I'm also pretty sure that Pannone doesn't expect such from people and he would be my número uno eye dominance expert.
    (Since one eye don't work, yo)

You will have some issues with it until you figure out how best to managed it yourself. Some squint one eye. Some put tape on their dom eye shooting glasses. Some just tuck their chin so the dominant eye is more in line with the sights. Lots of ways.

But pull the trigger with YOUR best hand.

Right handed and left eye dominant here. I shoot handguns right handed, both eyes open. Rifles and shotguns with either hand depending how I feel. For years I closed my right eye. Took an intro to competition class and the guy suggested i try both eyes open. It took several weeks of dry fire and more than a couple range sessions to get used to both eyes open. Once I got used to it that technique really helped. If your right handed, by all means shoot right handed. But I would suggest shooting with your support hand (left hand) some. More to build familiarity in case you need to shoot and your right hand is out of action.

Left eye dominant, right handed shooter.

I shift the gun slightly to the left and, for the most part shoot with both eyes open. I do sometimes need to give my right eye a slight squint in order to prevent seeing double at speed.

Site Supporter
    Right hand dominant, left eye dominant, left hand pistol shooter. When I got serious about shooting I decided to go with my dominant eye side because even as a bad shooter, I could already tell that the sights naturally came up much closer to perfect alignment than they did when I had to move the pistol over to my dominant eye with my right hand. Have never regretted sticking with it.

Another right handed, left eye dominant shooter here. I shoot pistols right handed, always have. I align the sights to my left eye which does the focusing and my right eye remains open. You may need to twist your head a little to the right at first but that's ok, just make sure that your left eye, rear sight and front sight are aligned. Then work on trigger control.

Which eye is dominant is an easy workaround in pistol shooting, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to shoot with either hand. Sooner or later, your strong hand will be injured somehow. Having the ability to switch shooting hands means you can still defend yourself and your family.

Neither is eye dominance a major issue in rifle shooting either. Just close the offside eye.

Internet doctoral theses have been written and Internet napoleonic wars have been fought about dominance.
    Here is an executive summary:

You can do whatever the hell you want.

If you're early in your shooting path, haven't developed good strong side skills and have time, patience and dedication , then it may make sense to train out of cross dominance. Helps if you are young.

If you don't want to, you don't have to. See posts above.

If you want to just work around it altogether, get an RDS on your pistol.

User Tag List