Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New to handguns, do I need to shoot left handed?

New to handguns, do I need to shoot left handed?

I've only ever really shot handguns for fun and not really paying any attention to how accurate I was, mainly because they weren't my handguns and I was just messing around, but recently I wanted to buy my first handgun and really learn properly. The problem comes up when I go to a range with some family that is, from my perspective, very knowledgeable about guns. And they probably are but I feel really annoyed with it after these last few range visits.

The problem is I'm right handed, but left eye dominate. So everyone told me I need to shoot left handed. Which felt like absolute shit, couldn't grip the gun right, I shot worse, just everything felt wrong. Of course they said, "well of course you're going to shoot worse, you're not used to shooting left handed. You need to practice." So then I'm stumped. I wanted a handgun, but I can't judge what feels best to me or what I like shooting the most because now shooting in general just sucks. So no handgun till I can shoot left handed or something? Then they told me I should learn to shoot with both eyes open and maybe stay right handed if I hated left handed so much.

I've shot rifles and shotguns for years right handed and used my left eye, my right eye, and even both eyes open depending on what the sight/scope was on the gun. So I'm not new to shooting entirely, just handguns. But I'm lost on this, I don't know if the guys at the range and my family are right or wrong or what.

I'm lost.

If you are right handed, I'm not clear why you aren't shooting right handed.

I'm no expert, though, so am interested in the opinions of those much better qualified to say than I.

Edit to add: Where are you located? Chances are good you can connect with a good instructor in your area to get you shooting properly.
    Last edited by RJ; 08-04-2016 at 08:52 PM.

Shoot right handed, it is your most dextrous hand.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I'm in Miami, FL. And I have no idea either, I've been shooting right handed my whole life. I personally don't think it's a big deal for a rifle but according to everyone I've talked to it is for handguns.

Larry Vickers is right handed, left eye dominant. He shoots pistols right handed, carbines left handed.

I am left handed, right eye dominant. I shoot right handed. I don't advocate this, though.

Quote Originally Posted by GrainularDischarge View Post
    I'm in Miami, FL. And I have no idea either, I've been shooting right handed my whole life. I personally don't think it's a big deal for a rifle but according to everyone I've talked to it is for handguns.
    With a good solid two hand grip and square stance to the target, I'm not sure why you can't shoot focusing on whatever eye/eyes work best for you.

Do you have a pistol you are shooting now?

Maybe for starters, find a range where you can safely and independently shoot a range of rental handguns both left and right handed? I'd be surprised if you are not shooting right handed after that, and shooting comfortably.

Tom Givens is doing a two day Combative Pistol Class in February in West Palm, but sounds like you might want something more close in.

Larry Vickers is right handed, left eye dominant. He shoots pistols right handed, carbines left handed.
    That's good to know. Never heard of him but I'll look him up.

I am left handed, right eye dominant. I shoot right handed. I don't advocate this, though.
    How long did it take for you to be comfortable and accurate using your right hand?

I'm right handed, left-eye dominant, shoot right handed. I would just close my left eye until I had my right eye focused on the front sight, then open my left. I don't really have to do that anymore.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    With a good solid two hand grip and square stance to the target, I'm not sure why you can't shoot focusing on whatever eye/eyes work best for you.
    I thought it'd be smart of me to go with people I know, who've shot various guns for longer than I have in case I needed any help but after all this I feel like I would've been better off figuring it out on my own, I have no doubt that if I needed to shoot something with a handgun accurately I probably could. But that didn't mean much to them.

Do you have a pistol you are shooting now?
    I do not. I went to the range at that time specifically to try some out, because the range allows rentals, and I left feeling like I never really wanted to shoot a handgun again.

Maybe for starters, find a range where you can safely and independently shoot a range of rental handguns both left and right handed? I'd be surprised if you are not shooting right handed after that, and shooting comfortably.
    Yea. I think I just need to go in there alone and mess around with it. I just didn't know if that would make it worse or not, shooting right handed but using my left eye, or just using my non dominate eye that is more in line with my dominate hand.

Tom Givens is doing a two day Combative Pistol Class in February in West Palm, but sounds like you might want something more close in.
    February of next year? Hmm, maybe I'll keep an eye on that. Not exactly next door but it isn't too far that a good class wouldn't be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    I'm right handed, left-eye dominant, shoot right handed. I would just close my left eye until I had my right eye focused on the front sight, then open my left. I don't really have to do that anymore.
    It's good to hear from multiple people that doing this isn't bad, as learning to shooting left handed sounds like a real drag.

User Tag List